weather in May So Africa etc.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weather in May So Africa etc.

Hello to all. I have enjoyed all the information on this great website from all the experienced Africa explorers. We have booked a trip with Overseas Adventure Travel leaving on May 4th. The trip is called Ultimate Africa. While I know most of you do the more independent travel, we thought we would be more comfortable with a group for our first time in Africa.

We will be in Victoria Falls, Chobe NP, the Delta, Caprivi, and Hwange, doing safaris in each area, 3 nights in each camp, and ending with 4 nights in Cape Town. We are very excited about this adventure. My question is about the weather, and just how cold will it be in May? Any suggestions on clothing etc would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Cattery
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:47 AM

hy,
i was in africa only in egypt, and i was in may. so it was verry hot all day long but at night it was cold some time (like to weare a jacket).

can u tell me where u find you're trip?
send me an e-mail at [email protected]

if u want to ask me something about my trips in egypt don't hesitate
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:31 AM

We have been to Southern Africa twice at this time of year. We enjoy the low level of insects, the lower day temperatures (neither of us can abide really high temperatures) and the status of the parks (water levels, height of grass etc, location of animals).
The slight downside is shorter days and colder nights (as well as colder early mornings and late nights).
We preferred these to the very hot middays of summer.
Key solution is to take layers so you can adjust as temperature changes. DO pack gloves, scarf and a warm hat too. Most camps will provide blankets or, better yet, waterproof, blanket-lined ponchos for each guest for drives.
A few camps do also give hotwater bottles for early morning drives. If yours doesn't - ask them if they can!
We were never cold at night even without wearing bedclothes as quilts etc are high quality and the hot water bottles are placed into excellent insulating covers and keep the bed warm for ages.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:52 AM

We were in southern Africa in May last year, and I concur with Kavey. Take a hat and gloves and several layers of sweater/vest/jacket for early morning and night game drives. During the day I was comfortable in long pants -- I didn't even pack any shorts. I wore some long sleeved tops and some short sleeved ones. My husband took one pair of shorts, I think; I don't remember whether he wore them or not. In the cities, I wore a sweater or light jacket in the evenings.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you for the insight on the weather in May. We are so so excited for this adventure!!!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 08:13 PM

We were in Botswana this past May. The day time temps were great. 70F. The evenings got very cold - to us - we are from the South. I slept with my clothes in the bed, so they would be warm when I got up.
They did give us hot water bottles to put in our beds - that really helped. We all huddled around the fire in the mornings to warm up.
It warmed up quickly in the day. We needed a scarf and gloves until about 9am and then for the night game drives. We only had a jacket with a sweatshirt and a tshirt.
The weather was good - but cold at night - if you are not use to cold weather.