Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > May thru Sept. Which month is best for Safari in Kenya/Tanzania?

May thru Sept. Which month is best for Safari in Kenya/Tanzania?

Apr 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

May thru Sept. Which month is best for Safari in Kenya/Tanzania?

We are trying to combine a 16 day safari in Kenya and Tanzania with the Great White cage dive. Our understanding is May thru Sept is best to experience the Great White adventure.
Any info/advice would be appreciated
Apr 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM

More specifically, I think June and July are the prime shark months. I've only researched this and have not been to the sharks. Late June or early July is what I'll plan on--some day.

So you have 16 days for Kenya and Tanzania, in addition to the sharks?

May-June is better for the migration in the Serengeti in Tanzania. Aug-Sept is better for the migration in the Masai Mara in Kenya. Later in the season is generally better for wildlife viewing due to less water and a higher concentration of animals around remaining water sources.

Is there a reason you wish to do your safari in Kenya and Tanzania rather than South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, or Zimbabwe, which all would be closer?

I'd be interested in your shark trip details, if you care to share them, though I'll be in the boat and not in the cage when I go.
Apr 5th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

We found a safari pkg we really liked
for Kenya & Tanzania, also a seasoned traveller told us Tanzania was No. 1 for animal viewing. The shark cage dive is on the life wish list for my hubby and I don't know if we will have a second opportunity to return to Africa. I have not researched Botswana,Zambia or Zimbabwe, but any info would be appreciated and we are not booked yet.
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Here are some more shark links. Maybe you’ve been to these.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34701593

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34647330

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34644233

Nothing wrong with Tanzania! It’s just that the other countries would not require a cross continent flight that eats up a precious day. Of course it depends on what you want in a safari as to whether Tanzania is best.

Tanzania offers wonderful game viewing primarily from a vehicle as opposed to on foot or canoeing. Zambia and Zimbabwe offer excellent walking and canoeing options that provide an active adventure. You get better photos from a vehicle than canoe or on foot, though.

Tanzania has the wide open savannas that are not as common in South Africa and there are virtually no fences to obstruct wildlife (unlike South Africa—where I have not yet been so am writing only from planning an 07 SA trip). However seeing the Big 5 (lion, leopard, rhino, elephant, buffalo) is a bit easier in South Africa and game viewing there is excellent all around.

Botswana has far less tourists than Tanzania and more secluded upscale accommodations. Botswana produced more cats for me than Tanzania in July, and wild dogs. You can do a luxury mobile safari in Botswana that is very comfortable but reduces the cost from the very lovely permanent tented camps. You still have really good game viewing on the mobiles.

Not many people do sharks in Cape Town, then fly up to Tanzania because of the distance. I’ve done Zimbabwe and Uganda/Kenya in one trip and the flight between was no big deal, though. And if you are satisfying a life wish list, what’s an extra cross-continent flight and day of travel?

Is the package a private or group trip? If you post the itinerary you can get a whole lot of comments and suggestions to make it the best trip possible.

Search this Thread