may photo safari in Kruger

Mar 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

may photo safari in Kruger

Hi,

I am thinking about sending my husband on a photo safari to Kruger area in May. It is led by local photo guide in vehicle with only 3 photographers. The safari spends most of the time in Kruger proper with 2 nights in private reserve (big cat) to go offroad.

I have only been to sabi sands and don't know what this experience might be like. the trip spends 3 nights at skukuza, 3 nights at lower sabie and 3 nights at Satara and then 2 nights at private big cat.

anyone familiar with these areas? I like the idea of local photographer who offers each photographer a whole bench.

thanks,

bonnie
Mar 11th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Your hubby's first safari?
Kruger is good, we've been three times and will go back. Also been to camps in private reserves in the Sabi Sand and Timbavati reserves. But never been to "big cat". What is "big cat" - camp MalaMala, Londolozi, Dulini, Motswari?? It is ok to use private commercial names here.

Kruger will be good and an experienced guide driving is great. Photographers each having own seat is great, what kind/make of vehicle is it? It is important that the view out be open and unrestricted as much as possible. But regardless, game viewing and photography especially is handicapped in Kruger because vehicles are not allowed to go off the established roads. While in the private camps on private property, Sabi Sand, Timbavati, going off road is very typical. This very much helps in finding the big 5 and photographing them. So I would recommend spending more time at a private camp, 3 or 4 or even more nights, budget permitting. Also, do Kruger first then go to the private camp last.

regards - tom
Mar 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks tom. that is all i know about the name. i have been to a few of the private reserves in the area, but this struck a chord with me as my husband does not care for fancy, but does like 3 to a vehicle
bonnie
Mar 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM

"big cat" means nothing. Get the actual safari camp name for us. Also, he may be 3 to vehicle in Kruger but this would require special arrangements with the private safari camp.

regards - tom

Search this Thread