Mauritius vs. Seychelles for Swimming/Hiking?

May 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Mauritius vs. Seychelles for Swimming/Hiking?

Hi Everyone,

My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon for December and are weighing Mauritius vs. the Seychelles. We will not be doing any deep-sea diving, but do plan on spending a lot of time relaxing/swimming on the beaches. Which place has better beaches for swimming? Also, we are both into hiking and want a place with some scenic and challenging trails. Mauritius looks to be a bit more mountainous than the Seychelles, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's been hiking in either place to see what it's really like.

Another question I had was whether either place has any decent budget accommodations. All the hotels seem so expensive. Since we are fairly active and plan to spend most of our time outside of our hotel, it would seem like a waste to spend so much money. What I'd really like would be a clean and comfortable cottage or guest house where we could make some of our own meals, at something like 150 - 200 US dollars per night. Does either place have accommodations like this?

Thank you everyone!
May 6th, 2005, 02:38 AM

We went to the Seychelles last Feb and loved it. Stayed at lovely chalets run by kind,helpful family. www.forbans.com
Gorgeous cove, clear warm water-a real vacation. Hope this helps you.
May 8th, 2005, 03:38 AM

Just returned from another trip to the Seychelles and three days in Mauritius. After at least ten visit to the Seychelles and two to Mauritius I can tell you that both destinations are lovely with many more trails to hike in Mauritius. As to the December weather I would chose Mauritius but who knows what weather will be like in December 2005. It gets so humid sometime in December in the Seychelles that hiking is not possible. Never went to Mauritius in December.
May 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM

I've been to both at the end of November - beginning of December. Both are really beautiful places. You'd love either choice, but here are my two cents:

The beaches and Snorkeling are better in Seychelles.

We found that booking through a travel agent was cheaper, but simply put... The Seychelles are expensive! Food isn't cheap and neither are the accomodations. It is so hard to get things there, so they charge a lot for everything.

Also, the Seychelles are humid that time of year. Fine for relaxing on a beach, but may be a bit too much for hiking. Trails will be limited (especially on the smaller islands).

The better hiking is on Mauritius (especially in the southern part of the country). The climate is also more arid. We were there early December and found it to be quite lovely weather wise (almost chilly at night). Accomodations and food are also cheaper on Mauritius.

I really don't know of any places within your budget range, but I did find this place on a Google search.
http://keravel.intnet.mu/

I found it by visiting:
http://www.wealth24.com/jsp/jdirecto...lue/hotels.htm

Also, check out these two travel agent sites. The prices are a bit more, but they may offer cheaper rates in a package.
www.sey.net
http://www.mauritiusmagic.com/

Just so you know, traveling there is worth every penny (IMO).

Have fun!

Search this Thread