Mauritius info request please

Jul 2nd, 2015, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Mauritius info request please

Good day to all fellow forumers! my first post here. I am looking to do a 10 day Mauritius by myself. August 24-sept 3rd. I was told to stay in the north and/or west of the island for less wind and more heat. I enjoy snorkelling and taking photos of nature, and i enjoy the beach. Can you give me some advice on what i will experience and also should i rent a car? I would love to stay at a nice resort with a nice beach. SO any input from anyone would be awesome! looking forward to some nice conversation from all of you! Thank you in advance!
Jul 2nd, 2015, 06:43 PM

Hi Pilotaydin,

I am an Australian and permanent resident of Mauritius, have lived here for 8 years, it is a great holiday destination and you will find some wonderful photographic opportunities. Mauritius is also still very much a developing country so you will find everything from stunning 5 star beach resorts to small villages where some people live in extreme poverty. Most tourists only see the 5 star side of Mauritius but those who get out and about can also experience the real Mauritius. The island is predominately Hindu and the people mostly of Indian decent about 70%.

If you are not already registered on Trip Advisor I suggest you do so as the Mauritius forum is very active there and you will find the answers to many of your questions. Here on Fodor's there is very little about Mauritius.

Also remember August is still our winter, it does not get very cold and the days should be beautiful with temperatures in the mid to high 20's Celsius and dropping to 15 to 18 in the evenings.

You can hire a car no problem but remember we drive on the other side and the drivers here are crazy! So if you want a more relaxing experience you can use Taxis relatively inxpensively with the added advantage of having the driver as a tour guide. All the hotels have dedicated taxis that do just that. if you do decide to hire a car wait until you get here to organize as it is much cheaper locally.

I am happy to provide more information but really do advise you to take a look on Trip Advisor for lots of information.
Jul 3rd, 2015, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello there! Thank you very much for your input! I will take your advice! Can you tell me about the food? I love seafood and also indian food am I in luck? I am very lucky about the weather too apparently!
Jul 3rd, 2015, 05:44 AM

I lived in Mauritius for several months, albeit a long time ago.

Indian food is abundant and there are many different aspects of it - creole, Madras, punjab, etc.

There is also a decent sized Chinese population, so expect so good food along those lines as well. French and African influences about as well. It is really quite an impressive culinary experience - especially for such a small island [2/3 size of Rhode Island, USA]

One of my fondest memories was being on one of the many beautiful beaches and having the "pineapple" men come by and peeling those tiny gems and then putting curry paste on them. Those were the sweetest, tastiest pineapples!

http://www.getaway.co.za/food/25-eat-drink-mauritius/

http://www.bruisedpassports.com/wher...d-of-mauritius

https://www.finedininglovers.com/sto...ood-mauritius/

Search this Thread