Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mauritius-has anyone gone on a honeymoon there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My US daughter and her UK fiance are planning on marrying in the UK this year where they will live. They are very interested in going to Mauritius for a honeymoon or the Seychelles. Has anyone been on a honeymoon there in the past couple years? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 03:14 AM

I don't have firsthand knowledge of MRU, but my daughter went to there for a few days on honeymoon as part of a multi-centre trip, she wasn't overly enamoured with it. I think it was mainly due to the weather (they went in July so it was winter & was chilly/rainy). They didn't think the island was that nice outside the hotels/beaches. Your daughter's honeymoon is September I think, so weather will be much warmer, depending on the part of the island. There are some fab hotels, eg Saint Geran which has been one of the island's top hotel for decades.
September is a pretty good month for the Seychelles but would research it a bit more as some beaches can have seaweed. I looked into it a few years back as we wanted to have a scuba trip so sea conditions are very important. I believe the Seychelles has superior beaches (if there is no seaweed & wind conditions are ok) to Mauritius and has several islands to choose from (eg Praslin), I would choose SEZ over MRU.
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Odin-had heard that the Seychelles have major spider problems on their beaches?
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Hello dutyfree. Can you please email me [email protected] as I want to ask you a question about a trip you took. Thanks, Heather
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 07:04 AM

This is a question that interests me, too, so thanks for the answers so far. We've been dreaming of having our honeymoon and perhaps even wedding on Mauritius - there is just something so romantic about spending it at a luxury hotel in Mauritius! http://shantimaurice.com So thanks for the info regarding the weather, I shall take it into account