Matetsi & Sandibe Camp

Apr 19th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Chloe

Matetsi & Sandibe Camp

Was hoping to get some information regarding the following luxury camps:

Sandibe - Okavango Delta
Matetsi - Victoria Falls

We are looking into a trip that combines Victoria Falls with Botswana. These are 2 camps that we have found that we like.

What are the prices per person for these camps. Do the prices include food? Also is there somebody who can book drives for you when there? We are considering booking ourselves instead of going through a tour operator but wondering if it's cost efficient and worth booking ourselves?

Any help would be appreciated

Apr 21st, 2002, 10:45 AM
Rocco

I just returned from Matetsi last month and I am sorry to report that I did not have a pleasant time. Earlier in my trip I had been at Singita Private Game Reserve (adjacent to Kruger National Park in South Africa) so maybe I was just spoiled there.
Game viewing was minimal at Matetsi compared to Singita and the bush was at least three times as thick and there was never even a tracker assigned to my ranger. The food was very average and I believe that sanitation and food handling may have been below par because during my three night stay at Matetsi, I became sick, as did my wife, and required antibiotics.
Also, while Matetsi's location would be a perfect 10 in my book, right on the Zambezi river, the river made it impossible to eat without having tons of insects crawling around. I realize that this is Africa but I didn't have nearly the same problem at Singita.
The rooms at Matetsi were nice, but without phone and Matetsi didn't have internet access available to the guests as did Singita.
On what was supposed to be my last day, the lodge told me that they had reconfirmed my flight and after a 75 minute drive to the airport, I learned that my flight aboard Air Zimbabwe had been discontinued over a month earlier. Had to drive all the way back to Matetsi and the General Manager apologized and offered to put us up, free of charge, at the Victoria Falls Hotel. I was happy to get out of Matetsi but this caused me one less night in Cape Town and ultimately forced me to cancel my stay in the Cape Winelands, changing the whole dynamics of the trip.
All you can really expect to see, as far as game viewing goes, at Matetsi is elephants, giraffes, impalas, warthogs, wildebeest and buffalo. The predators are very rare as poaching and neighboring hunting lodges have really minimized their numbers. I didn't see one lion or leopard the whole three day stay, while at Singita I saw much more in less time.
The actual Falls are absolutely beautiful but the country is in a dire condition right now. If you are going to also see the Falls, I would suggest a two night stay at the Victoria Falls Hotel instead. As far as game viewing goes, the lodges in the Sabie Sand reserve such as Singita, Londolozi and Royal Malewane will probably be tough to beat. At Matetsi, the rangers were not even allowed to follow game offroad, while at Singita, the ranger took his Range Rover Defender anywhere and everywhere and really allowed the guests to have VERY close encounters with even lions and elephants (within ten feet often and on one occasion I was looking face to face with a cheetah that walked within three feet of the vehicle and looked right into my eyes as I was frozen in fear and excitement to my seat, unable to even take a breath for a couple seconds until it decided to go around the parked vehicle).
Good luck on your trip. Last thing, if you have time, you may want to spend a few nights in Cape Town. It really is a beautiful city.

Jan 27th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Just wondering if you actually stayed at Sandibe....We're staying there in June and was curious as to your experience.

Search this Thread