Massive Park Fees Hike Proposed in Botswana

Sep 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Massive Park Fees Hike Proposed in Botswana

From an article in the Ngami Times this week. http://tinyurl.com/cy7hsa The government seems intent on getting as much money as possible out of tourism. Or they are intent on killing non-luxury based tourism and it's interdependent businesses.
I imagine the only way for people planning a self drive next year is to book and pay for the fees now at current rates. They have honored prepaid fees in the past. But I can't say I see much of a solution for those doing fly-in safaris.
Sep 4th, 2011, 03:55 PM

The fee increases are drastic, I agree. But it sure looks to me that the fees for international travelers are currently too low. Considering how expensive it is to travel to/in Botswana, it looks like Botswana doesn't get much from all of that tourism money. I don't think locals should or can afford those increases, especially staff, but for planes to be able to land for free - no matter the registration - in NPs sounds dumb. The fees are also shown in pula, which are currently about 7 pula/USD. An annual increase of p700 is only $100 - annual. (I have the same feelings about US National Parks. An international visitor should pay more than a US resident.) Mobile safari operators should be able to work out something to make it affordable - an annual increase maybe. But did I read it correctly that ythe private camps are exempt? Now that's outrageous!

The fee structure for an annual NP pass in South Africa looks like this:

http://www.sanparks.org/assets/docs/...rd-pricing.pdf

I think it's fine - I'm not paying taxes, so they charge me more.
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

One of the privatized operators of campsites is just about doubling the price of camping for 2013. This is getting a bit expensive to pitch a tent.

Search this Thread