Masai The Rain Warriors

Sep 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Masai The Rain Warriors

Has anyone seen this film? I came home yesterday to find, of all things, an invitation in the mail from the Kenya tourist board for a screening of this film in Santa Monica on Nov 3. Now driving to Santa Monica for me is akin to going to a foreign country except I actually find myself in another country more often than the westside of LA but the film sounds interesting and I don't think it's in release in theaters here, is it? Or at least not out in the 'burbs where I live
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
bat

Anything to avoid work!

googled it-and you may know by now that it is a french-made film and here is one description:

"Faced with a drought that endangers the continuity of their people, the elders are convinced that they have been cursed by the Red God -- the God of Vengeance. Following the death of the war chief, a group of adolescents must now cross over to adulthood, forced to quickly form a new generation of inexperienced but brave warriors. The adolescents must bring back the mane of a legendary lion, which appears at every critical period of the Masai history to appease the wrath of the God and bring back the rains. The survival of their culture depends on this quest."

You may be in a burb but aren't you in a SF burb? Surely it will come to you --pity us in the non-bicoastal midlands.

The movie sounds great for its potential for scenery if nothing else.
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

bat,
I'm actually in a LA burb, but way on the east side (not far from Rocco). If nothing else, I'd probably go see it just for the Kenyan scenery as you said. The screening is just 11 days before I leave!
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM
bat

The timing seems rather karmic/serendipitous to me--surely worth a foray into a foreign land (santa monica)--do you speak the language? do you have the appropriate travel clothes?
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Do I need a visa? Would I qualify for a transit visa considering I'm only staying for the screening? Should I apply in advance or can I get one on arrival? I'll definitely need to go clothes shopping tomorrow.

I knew I should've started planning this foray sooner!
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
bat

and don't forget your shots!
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Hi
I saw the film earlier this year (it was showing in Brussels where I live). I thought the film itself - scenery, story, etc.- was beautiful, but the whole thing was ruined for me by the fact that they had dubbed it all into French.

I had been looking forward to hearing the real voices of the Masai people in the film, but instead they were dubbed with terrible French "inner city" accents. It was totally out of place and I was really disappointed!!

Still, I'm glad I saw the film.
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:17 AM

I read about this film on the Magical Kenya website months ago and Iíve been keeping my eyes open in case it would show up somewhere near where I live Ė it hasnít happened and Iím closer to Kenya than to Santa Monica (I donít complain about that). Now, if itís dubbed into French itís a lot less interesting. I hope itís only done in French speaking countries.
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Santa Monica may be a foreign country, but if anything they should have dubbed it into Valley...

'Duuuuuude! There's this, like, lion, and it's got, like magical hair or something, which is so stylin' that it can, like, save the world...'
'Aaaawesome, dude....'

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Julian,

hanl & Nyamera,
The version they're screening is supposed to be in Maa with English subtitles. There's also a Q&A session with the director/writer afterwards.
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Patty, you HAVE to go. I'm with bat: this is just too karmic/serendipitous. 11 days before you leave for Kenya? Come on!
Sep 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Ashe oleng Patty,

I hope Iíll find the DVD.

Yes, youíll have to go. Then you can hold a Q&A session here on Fodorís.

Search this Thread