Masai Mara vs Nothern Serengetiin September

Apr 27th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Masai Mara vs Nothern Serengetiin September

I'm planning a safari to Tanzania in September and will be spending three days in the Northern part of the Serengeti. What I want to know is if it is really worth going to Masai Mara also if I'm spending so much time in Serengeti?

Apr 27th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Yes definitely the Mara is worth going to in September. The wildebeest migration will be heading back from Mara to Serengeti around that period and you do not want to miss that. In Serengeti you should try and base yourself at Kleins Camp or Migration Camp to catch sight of the wildebeest that may have crossed over or is crossing into Tanzania. Of course no one can predict the times when the wildebeest will cross the borders.
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:50 AM

Yes, you do want to go to the Mara as well. As King pointed out, the migratory animals will be in the Mara at that time. We were in the Mara Sept. 21, 22, 23 and 24 last year, and it was on the 23rd that we saw a crossing. Fantastic!
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:55 AM
lromin

The Mara is simply awesome in September...the sights and sounds of the wildebeest and the predators are outstanding. We saw wildebeest crossings in early Sept a few years ago...and saw 32 lions one day and 40+ another day. I have not been to the Serengeti in Sept -- though the northern Serengeti is supposed to be great at this time of year...I have been to the northern Serengeti in early July -- an absolutely beautiful area...rolling hills and kopjes. We stayed at Migration camp -- a beautiful spot. The best, I think, would be to do both the northern Serengeti and Mara to witness both sides of the migration (if time and travel strategy allows). But also be careful not to try to do too much in one trip -- trying to include too much could just wear you down as travel in Africa can be difficult. If you had to pick between the two, I think the Mara would be the place in Sept. Also, note that off-road driving is not allowed in most of the Serengeti (including the northern Serengeti)...while this is obviously fantastic for the park ecosystem, it also can make wildlife photography a little frustrating -- seeing leopards and lions that you can't get quite close enough to. The western Mara still allows off-road driving.

Search this Thread