Masai Mara in March with teens

Nov 27th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Masai Mara in March with teens

We are hoping to go to Masai Mara for 3 days in March with 3 young teens. Any advice on which tented camps would be best and which tour operators? How will the weather be in late March and will there be lots of animals? Should we spend a day in Nairobi as well? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Nov 27th, 2004, 02:48 PM
sandi

Traveling at the end of March (Easter vacation, I have to presume) you may just miss the rain - the "long rains" occur in April and May. However, weather is just that. Don't know whether it will be wet or not, whether they'll arrive early or late. Though it's rare that even if it rains, will it have an impact on gameviewing. You'll be in closed vehicles with pop-top roofs. And the animals are there and about... there is nowhere for them to to go.

You may want to email:

[email protected]

they are an in-country tour operator. Advise them what you are looking for and they will be able to advise the camp that would be most appropriate when traveling with teenagers. You don't mention your budget, but they can offer competitive pricing for all budgets.

As to spending time in Nairobi, again you don't mention from where you are traveling, and where you will be going after your time in Kenya. But there are some activities in Nairobi that the teens might enjoy, though I would suggest you do Nairobi before going to the Mara or split activities for the day you arrive and the day you are departing.

In Nairobi you can visit the Daphne Sheldrik Elephant Orphanage, The Giraffe Center, The Karen Blixen House, and have lunch or dinner at The Carnivore.

Nov 29th, 2004, 08:41 AM

In addition to the tour operator that sandi gave you, you may also want to contact the following operators for comparison quotes:

Eastern & Southern Safaris
[email protected]

I booked my upcoming trip in late January through Serah at Eastern & Southern and she has been very good in answering all of my questions.

Suntrek Safaris
[email protected]

Suntrek has been highly recommended by others on this board and the quotes I received from them were very competitive.

Both of the above operators are based in Nairobi.

We'll be spending a full day in Nairobi before we fly out in the evening and plan to visit the 3 places that sandi mentions above. We also have one other afternoon, and we're planning to visit a tea farm north of Nairobi, but that might not be of interest to your teens.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread