Masai Mara - Dec 15 Update

Dec 25th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Masai Mara - Dec 15 Update

OK, we got stuck from Rekero to Naibor and spend about 5 hours in the car until the good guys at Naibor managed to find us and pull us out! We took a short cut and ended up in a ditch where no-one could see us! My Maasai friend David eventually climbed a big tree from where he could direct the Naibor vehicle to our position. They did not have a GPS in their car although I could pinpoint ours!

We got to Naibor camp in the dark. Nevertheless we had a great time there.

Overall, we enjoyed our stays at OL Seki, Serian, Il Moran, Rekero and Naibor. It is so hard to choose between them.

I will mention that Serian was very impressive. A perfect camp for lovers. Privacy is key here and the fire in the lounge is just great. Their new tents across the Mara River will be fantastic.

I was surprised with the amount of wildlife near Ol Seki. Lions, hyenas, etc. The staff were also very friendly and engaging and the food was great. Their tents were huge and lovely with great views over the valley.

Rekero is for wildlife connoisseurs. We had a wonderful time with the staff during dinners and in the lounge tent. They really treat their staff well and the enthusiasm there was addictive. The setting is beautiful and they have good views. The tents are smaller but they include little details that make it very special.

Naibor has a great location in terms of wildlife. It is south of the Talek river
with almost exclusive access to the great plains in the area. There were so many animals there and their hippos were the loudest of our trip! Their tents are very different with an upscale feel. The views are not that great because they are in the woods but the secluded nature of the camp makes up for it.

I will admit that I am changing my opinions a bit about inside/outside accommodations. More about this later but there are definitely reasons to consider both under certain circumstances.
Eben

Dec 26th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Hi Climbhighsleeplow, we decided in the end to spend 4 nights in Naibor in Mid Feb after our scuba trip to Zanzibar. We are hoping to see cats after the rather poor pickings in the Northern Serengeti in August ( awesome place though) what do you think. Will the recent rains still be affecting the sightings? What is Naibor like? Is it friendly, is there a view of the river from the central tent if not from your personal tent? Thanks Yvonne
Dec 26th, 2006, 03:44 AM
sandi

Thanks for the update. The rain is causing havoc everywhere; somewhat better wet than drought in the short term. We just can't know ahead of time what will be. Glad that you and Carol are enjoying the camps you've visited and that outside vs inside has it's benefits. I always felt so and if visitors have the time to split up their stay... a good way to go. Look forward to your comment on this.

I hope to make it to some of the camps you visited on my next trip. Stay safe and dry.

... and Happy New Year to both of you. Oh, to be in Afree-kah!

Dec 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Eben, thanks for the update. Iím looking forward to more details. Krismasi Njema.
Dec 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Hey Eben,

Any news on the new Tipilikwani tented camp near the Talek gate right on the river??

Dec 27th, 2006, 02:59 AM
santharamhari

Thanks for the update.....fantastic stuff!!!

Dec 27th, 2006, 06:03 AM
sandi

Don't have a "water" update on Tipilikwani tented camp, but as an answer to an earlier questions in another thread, this camp is owned by Simba Lodge, so is a mid-range priced camp. Not one of the new lux camps.

Dec 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Sandi,

Actually, I had heard that Tipilikwani is just about half built, and should be ready in the next few months.

I was just curious if Eben had time to check it out when he's on the Talek. It's supposed to be really nice!
Dec 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM
sandi

Don't know whether it's completed yet. Information I got was from someone who had seen the camp... their comments as to ownership and price point. No mention made as to whether construction finished.

We'll have to wait to hear from Eben.

Dec 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

I will post more later but YES, we did visit Tipi AND a large selection of new camps.

Tipi was surrounded by a huge fence and security gate and there was no-one to let us in. The tents looked OK but most do not face the Talek river. It is a crowded area on that part of the river. It is a bit north east of Ilkeliani. They are also building another camp right next door to Tipi. I took pictures and will post these soon.
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:04 AM

That's great Eben! I look forward to seeing them. Too bad you couldn't get through the gate to get a closer view.

It's amazing how many new camps are being built just along the river there....
Feb 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Eben, what is the Mara Intrepids camp like on the Talek river?
Thanks
Cathie
Feb 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Iíve got information that Tipilkwani and the very new Elephant Bedroom Camp in Samburu are part of Mbweha Camp and are operated by Atua Enkop Africa. The fence sounds awful though.
Feb 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Nothing wrong with Intrepids. Although it is a big place they had two dining rooms when I stayed there in 2004 so it feels smaller.

Great location.

They have those small Landrover game vehicles - http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/maraintrepids.htm

We specifically did not stay there because I was told they are upgrading the tents.

We decided to wait until they are finish and will visit in Aug/Sep!
Feb 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM
sandi

The refurbs at Intrepid's should be finished in time for the upcoming season... probably by June.

Feb 10th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Nyamera,
Do you know the location of Elephant Bedroom camp?
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Patty:
ďOn the banks on the Ewaso Nyiro RiverĒ All my information is in a newsletter. If I find your email address youíll soon get it.