Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Well, well, well...you mean safari hunting operators aren't on the up and up?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting article on Zimbabwe's hunting operators on our favorite AllAfrica.com website:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200408161045.html

Yet another reason to despise the "sport" of hunting!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:07 PM
sandi

divewop - Thanks for the heads-up!

Considering this is Zimbabwe we're reading about, who knows who has the money or where it went? Can be tour operators, can be Mugabe, can have fallen down a rabbit hole. Not a suprise that someone has their hands in the cookie jar.

But what did jump out of me is that most of the hunters come from TEXAS! No surprise! They kill people, they kill animals - what a sport!!

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I noticed that too Sandi-
What is it about Texas that it is singled out? It's been singled out in other reports of hunting in S.A. as well.

Interesting though, that with all the instability in Zimbabwe these days, that the hunters from the U.S. aren't dissuaded in the least from going there.

Hmmmm...makes me wonder what is really going on or maybe who's got those really deep pockets.:-?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:57 PM
sandi

You ask, why Texas? Because it's Texas! No reasons needed. It should be a country to itself and then the rest of us wouldn't have to justify its' being one of the 50! Kind of like Quebec in Canada. There's one in every family, or country. Name a country and I'm sure there is an area most inhabitants would put up for adoption, of just leave out to be picked up with the trash. That's Texas. Not necessarily all of the people who made a wrong turn and wound up living there, but it's TEXAS - can't loose that Wild West image.

Sadly, due to the political situation in Zimbabwe people are staying away from a really beautiful country. But I don't believe there is anything to fear for people to choose to travel here except that many lodges in some area are closed or hanging on by a thread. It's all very unfortunate.

So hunters are more than welcome to spend their money for their disgusting "sport" - so whoever is willing to pay, others are more then glad to accommodate, especially if they're Texans!!!

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Hi there. I mailed the article to my zimbabwe guide. I will also try and e-mail this thread to him. Maybe he can shed some light on this. I safaried there in 1999. That country is so beautiful! CHIZARIRA PARK. is so remote and wild. Anyway, I'll try and do this. Will post what he sends. He most likely
is out on safari now. See what happens.
David
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Ok, info on it's way!
david
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
The government of Zim isn't on the up and up either according to this article

Wildlife sanctuary now a hunting ground
By Peta Thornycroft in Harare
(Filed: 14/08/2004)
Zimbabwe's information minister, Jonathan Moyo, has seized a celebrated African wildlife sanctuary, government documents have shown, and turned it over to hunting . . .The minister has denied taking Sikumi Tree Lodge . . .The lodge was once a showpiece of eco-tourism and was where the Queen had lunch during the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in 1991. Now it plays host to those willing to pay to shoot rare game.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...equestid=26145
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Sundowner-
Thank you for that...I think!

What an eye opening article. How horrible! And how unfair.

"The Wildlife Association of Zimbabwe has said the quotas are unsustainable and threaten cheetah, leopard and lion populations."

"The animals are being slaughtered there."

It sickens me picturing in my mind what those poor animals are up against. They have enough to worry about w/ other animal predators let alone "selfish trophy hunting" humans.

I guess it's all about the almighty dollar. Where's Bill Gates money when you need it?!

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I hesitate to respond to this post, mostly because I fear attack by someone with an alternate view than mine. For the record I will first state that I am a very peaceful person by nature.

Having said that, and with no intention of starting a hunting arguement, I have to laugh when I read the silly (for lack of a better word) article listed above. Anyone living and working in Zim will tell you exactly how corrupt the country has become. This is why there is a long list of sanctions by President Bush. In addition to not telling us that this is why US spending is down in Zimbabwe, the article goes on to blame former white landowners for not "helping" the newer ranches!

Sandi is totally correct that there's no doubt that money has been taken from the cookie jar (who knows by whom).

I'm not sure if I read it in the article or in another post here, but the whole notion that most Zimbabwe Safari hunters are from the US (specifically Texas) is just not true. Most hunters are from Spain and Portugal. What alot of people who are not familiar with Safaris do not know is that there is a huge amount of reporting in reference to game and wildlife that has to be done by the ranchers. These reports are recorded by the Ministry of Wildlife, which in turn regulates the amount of game to be taken, including size and sex. On ranches and game parks the meat is consumed from all kills, and is in fact a life staple for the people living there.

Poachers by the way are killed on the spot in Tanzania, I'm not sure in Zimbabwe. A report must then be filed and a team from the Ministry must come to the sight and collect the poacher's body within 2 weeks of being notified.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Zimbabwe is on the fast road to ruin. Mugabe will blame anything and everyone but his policies or himself. There are rumors he will next trot out global warming, caused by the evil West of course ;-), as the cause of agricultural collapse. Anything not nailed down is for sale. I'm afraid it will get much worse before it gets any better.