Marrakesh for 4 days- what not to miss

Jul 15th, 2001, 08:35 AM
liz

Marrakesh for 4 days- what not to miss

I am going to Marrakesh for 4 day in late September. Any suggestions on what I must
see. Also any restaurant reccomendations?

Jul 15th, 2001, 06:08 PM
andi

You must eat at Yacout. It is the most stunning restaurant I've ever seen, the meal is pure spectacle and the food divine. Don't miss it.

Jul 15th, 2001, 06:24 PM
elvira

In Marrakesh: The Menara; the Badii Palace; the Medina; Majorelle Gardens; the Palmerie; Jemaa El Fnaa Square. If you want to hire a guide, go through your hotel or the tourist office. Don't hire the touts that approach you (10 minute tour, then immediately to some sort of shop). If you want to buy a rug or other higher priced souvenir, ask your licensed guide for a recommendation.

We ate at a very fancy restaurant, with Moroccan musicians and dancers as entertainment, literally dozens of dishes served to us. I have absolutely no recollection of the name of the place, and we must have paid cash because I have no receipt. It was beautiful, but way over the top for us - we're sort of pub food kind of gals, and dozens of dishes were more than we needed. The only other diners were European.

At place 16 Novembre, at the corner of ave Yacoub al Marini and ave oued al Makhazine, we found la Pergola, a good Italian restaurant (we'd been eating Moroccan food for 10 days, and needed a taste of the familiar!)

Jul 25th, 2001, 02:07 AM
james

Yacout is a must do - but it is always booked solid, so book it NOW for your trip. I don't think a guide is necessary if you have a good guide book. The city is great fun, very different. Don't miss wandering through the souks and take time to sit overlooking the main square (El Fna) over a drink at sundown. 4 days is a long time for this little city, so if you're not the laze by the pool type, think about a day trip into the mountains - get a driver, very cheap.

Jul 25th, 2001, 04:37 AM
texasgirl

Le Yacout is definitely a gorgeous restaurant, but we actually liked the food better at El Fassia, which is just 10 minutes walk from the medina, and owned and staffed by women _ best food we had. Also, don't miss eating at least once at the food stalls at the djemma el fna. Just make sure you choose a busy stall and watch them cook your food fresh: dinner as theater, great fun. Finally, we enjoyed strolling in the Gueliz one night, where there is much more French influence and great little bakeries and such; we found a tiny little seafood restaurant where the very friendly owner delivered far more than we could eat for $6 for both of us.

Jul 25th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Anat

We were in Marrakesh last year. We saw this show called Chaz Ali. It is a great show, lasts about 3 hours including dinner. I think it costs under $30 each and well worth it.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:27 AM
MC

Where did everyone stay in Marrakesh??

Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:37 AM
elvira

Ibn Bah Toutah

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:14 AM
fd

well...almost everything was said...except...donīt miss thé ā la mente ( mint tea ), and the snake charmers in djemma el fna square...oh...donīt forget a hat...

Search this Thread