Marrakesh and Fez w/ side trip

May 5th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Marrakesh and Fez w/ side trip

I am looking to visit Morocco for perhaps a week before moving on to Spain. The desired plan is to visit Marrakesh and Fez but also get outside the cities. My girlfriend would love to take a camel ride out to the desert and stay in an oasis. However, I am not sure if these are available from these cities (distance-wise). What would be best is a two day side trip to spend overnight in a Berber town. I've seen offerings for these but they look to be tied to bundled tours. I've never enjoyed being part of a large tour where the main goal is always to stay on time and hit each designated stop as if on a bus schedule. I am willing to missing something if I find myself fascinated with another.

If anyone has experience in something like this I would appreciate hearing whether you feel this is possible or out of the question. If possible, then any opinions or advice on preferred guides is appreciated. If you don't feel this is possible then any advice on guides for Marrakesh and Fez are equally appreciated!

Thanks!
Andy
May 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM

Andy..I suggest driving. You can take in a lot more on your terms of time and money. We did a full month, driving from Fes to the desert via some stops in the Atlas...spent time on the dunes and in the market city of Rissani...on to the gorges ((Todra and Dades), to Ouarzazate, to the Draa valley and the road to Timbuktou. En route to Marrakech we stopped in a rather remote village of Fint which we enjoyed...then on to Ait Benhaddou and finally Marrakech. From there to Essaouira, Rabat and flight homme. Fascinating, pleasureable trip. I turned in the car in Marrrakech and hired a tax driver to take us to the coast and Essouira...same driver four days later took us to Rabat. Roads are OK, the signage is good and plenty of petrol stops. If interested in doing so, I'll post pics. Obviously, in only nine days, you'll have to pick and choose what to drop.

Whatever you decide, you'll love Maroc,
stu

Search this Thread