Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Marrakech for I week (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/marrakech-for-i-week-979316/)

barbloves2travel May 27th, 2013 06:23 AM

Marrakech for I week

We are 3 couples staying in Marrakech for one week in September. It is our first time in Morrocco. We have accommodation but need help with itinery. We were thinking about hiring a driver. Can anyone suggest a reliable company? Do you rent the car yourself and then hire the driver separately? Would need the transfer from airport to house and then for trips into Marrakech and surrounding area. I would love to go into the desert for one night any ideas? Also any other suggestions on how we spend our 6 days in Morrocco. Should we hire a guide or is the driver a guide as well? Any suggestions appreciated

MmePerdu May 27th, 2013 06:55 AM

Where are you staying "in" Marrakech that you'd need transportation "into" Marrakech?

From the airport your accommodation can arrange transportation or you could simply take 2 taxis.

The usual way to get around is in a grand taxi, a Mercedes with a driver which has always been arranged for me by my accommodation. For 6 of you, you might ask them first if they can arrange for a van before booking a separate company for the purpose. I've always made such arrangements through the place I've stayed.

The driver may or may not speak English so if you want a guide too, again, ask your accommodation for the occasions you might want one. You won't likely need one booked for the entire week as the city is easily navigated on one's own with a guidebook and map and taking taxis.

Where do want to go that you feel you'll need a guide?

MmePerdu May 27th, 2013 07:15 AM

I should clarify, email your accommodation ahead of your visit with your requirements to see if they can make the arrangements for you. I'd be surprised if they cannot. But if you ask them now then you can make alternate arrangements if necessary.

Kaylaangel May 28th, 2013 03:46 AM

We used Marvelous Morocco Tours company for our trip to Morocco after reading their Excelent reviews in TA, and it was the best!! I highly recommend this team.

thursdaysd May 28th, 2013 04:42 AM

Kayla appears to have joined Fodors just to plug this agency. It is an example of why you have to be VERY, VERY careful about recommendations for Morocco. This board is hit regularly by advertisers for Moroccan agencies. I suggest that you do some reading on Morocco, and reconsider spending a whole week just in Marrakesh. You can't do the desert as a day trip, and Fes is more worthwhile than Marrakesh.

MmePerdu May 28th, 2013 07:08 AM

Thursdaysd and I don't agree on Fes vs Marrakech, simply a matter of personal taste, but I do agree that you might consider breaking up the time in Marrakech with a couple of days in Essaouira on the coast. Again, see if your accommodation in Marrakech can arrange the transport and read reviews of the several very nice hotels in Essaouira. I've also rented a private house in the medina there arranged by the riad where I stay in Marrakech.

Kaylaangel May 28th, 2013 07:24 AM

Hi ,

I am happy to join fodors forums, and I am here not to publish any agency, I am trying just to share my experience in the countries i travelled to and help travellers in finding the right way! and get more information about new countries! because I found it here very helpful!

As the person who started this topic is looking too for a company in Morocco to travel with not just staying the whole week in Marrakech!

All the best.

Kayla.

barbloves2travel May 30th, 2013 10:58 AM

Thanks for the info. We are thinking of taking a 2 day one night tour into the desert. Any suggestions on this. It does look like we are close to city and airport so transfers should be good. Just trying to figure out if we book a tour or hire a driver and guide and create our own?

Fra_Diavolo May 30th, 2013 12:01 PM

I've been planning a similar trip, but it seems to be a two day drive to the desert from Marrakech. I think you'd need to allocate four days roundtrip if you'd like to spend a night in the desert. Seems to be plenty to see along the way, though.

barbloves2travel May 31st, 2013 03:43 PM

Are there any day trips from Marrakech that are a must do? I think I'm going to re-think the desert trek and look at day trips into the Mountains or villages. We could over night somewhere but don't have the time for 3 days.

MmePerdu May 31st, 2013 03:55 PM

Overnight in Essaouira on the coast.

Fra_Diavolo May 31st, 2013 06:43 PM

Second Essaouira, the town with all the vowels.

Marrakech_Mike Jun 8th, 2013 01:55 AM

Hi there!
From my point of view 2-3 days spent in Marrakech are more than enough to visit the main attractions of the city!So in the 4 days left you should explore the surroundings, as you have already said!The staff from the place you chose to stay can help you with the tour as well as with the transfer from the airport. All you have to do is bringing your wishes to their attention!
There are a few interesting places you should visit while in Morocco such as the Atlas Mountains, The Ourika Valley,the Asni Valley, and Lalla Takerkouste Lake, Tichka Pass (2260m altitude) the capital city Rabat, and if you want to spend a day at the beach you may go to Essaouira. You may choose an organised tour or you can explore the country on your own, it all depends on your adventurous spirit!
Have a nice time in Marrakech!

cdc Jun 10th, 2013 09:24 AM

Hi,
I posted about a tour company a while back, and there is no a full discussion, mostly focused on Journey Beyond (who we decided to go with) under the tag "Experience with Journey Beyond Travel or Sahara Services in Morocco?"
We haven't been yet, but I can what I did to research - start by looking at the tours offered by all the different operators, so you can get an idea of highlights. Then figure out what you like to do and what works best for your entire group. Also, there are few really detailed trip reports on this site.
For our plans, since I get car sick, we are using a tour company on a private tour for the part of our trip through the mountains and the dessert. For the other parts of our trip, we will be taking the train between other cities and look forward to alone time to just walk around and take in sights. We wanted to see a few cities, and since we are going to be stopping at a lovely beach in Spain on our way home, we are skippinng Essauria - just not enough time. We will do Tangier to Fes to Menkes to Fes to Sahara loop to Marrakech.
I am hoping it will be a nice mix - anyhow, look for my trip report in early July when we get back :)
Good luck planning!
cdc