Marrakech Desert Trip

Nov 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Marrakech Desert Trip

Hi, my wife and I are going to spend a week in Morocco on a tour from December 25 to 30. On the 30th we want to take a trip to Zagora to get a glimpse of the Sahara etc.. We'd like to stay overnight in Zagora and return to Marrakech on the 31st as we need to fly out the next day to Barcelona. Does anyone know if we can arrange for this Zagora trip in Marrakech through a local operator/hotel etc.? Our tour operator is offering the trip but at an exorbitant fee.
Thanks for any assistance!!!
Nov 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Dot

We did a similar thing in June. We flew on Air Maroc to Ouarzazate, where we rented a car and then drove down past Zagora to M'hamid. We stayed at http://www.darazawad.com, which I would highly recomend (the best chef in Morocco works there!!). The French owner, Vincent, took us four wheeling in his Land Rover and took us on a tour of the deserted kasbah, etc. We stayed only one night then drove back toward Ouarzazate. We stayed that night in Skoura at http://www.lesjardinsdeskoura.com/, also highly recomended. We booked both accommodations and car rental through www.travelintelligence.com. I suggest you use a well known car rental (eg, Hertz, Avis). We used someone local and the vehicle was TERRIBLE (broken gas gauge, a/c broke while driving through the Sahara!, dirty). Really, really easy drive from Ouarzazate to M'hamid.

Check out Air Maroc's website and see if any flights would work for you. Then check w/ travel intelligence and see what they can offer. I think the accommodations were around $100/night.
Nov 20th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info Dot. i'm not sure if there are any flights from marakesh (where our tour ends) to Ouarzazate. we were just looking to try to get a tour to take us to Zagora. i think my wife would freak out if we broke down by ourselves in the desert.

Search this Thread