Marrakech and Second Location in February 2013

Oct 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Marrakech and Second Location in February 2013

This will be my second trip to Morocco and I will be traveling solo. Last time we spent alot of time traveling between locations, which I want to avoid repeating. I'd like to spend 2-3 days in Marrakech and then 2-3 days in either Ouirgane or Essaouria. Which would be better at that time of year? Or am I better off staying in Marrakech and doing these as day trips? I'm also considering Taroudant. There's hiking there and the Naturally Morocco guest house looks like a good option for a female solo traveler. But the city sounds less interesting than my other options. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Oct 31st, 2012, 05:48 PM

There is a reason that Essaouria is on everyone's list of wonderful cities to spend time in Morocco. It is on the sea with a wonderful souk within its walls along with great modern day shopping,eating and sightseeing!Prices are cheaper and the scenery is gorgeous!
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:12 AM

Essaouira is a fairly touristy town, Taroudannt is a much less touristy town, Ouirgane is countryside.

I wouldn't suggest any of them as day trips--have at least one night away.
Nov 12th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Given my flights to/from Marrakech, a second location needs to be fairly near the Marrakech airport. I think that narrows it down to Essaouria and Ourigane. I am also now traveling with a friend who has never been to Morocco. So the advantage of Essaouria is she gets to see a second city. I however am leaning toward Ourigane as I would love to spend a day hiking. Ourika Valley would also work, but it sounds more touristy. Any recommendations on these or alternatives?

And since we have already booked our flights from the States, is there any advantage to booking through a tour company rather than directly with the riad(s)?

Search this Thread