Market prices for various goods?

Oct 10th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Market prices for various goods?

Excited to travel to Marrakech for the first time in a couple weeks. I have a strong understanding of what to expect of this experience, especially when in the markets or simply out and about. Curious: what have other previous travellers paid for various items in the markets (or what have you heard of others paying), and did you later feel that figure was too high or too low? Of course would have a sense of what value I would want to place on items, but would also like to get some historical data to benchmark as well. Items in mind include poufs, carpets, pottery, jewelry, bags, etc... Thanks in advance!
Oct 15th, 2018, 12:08 AM

I was recently part of a group from the British Moroccan Society visiting some of the charities and associations funded by the BMS in and around Fez.

But we had some touristy time as well and that included a visit to the Chaouwara tanneries which were extensively renovated in 2015-16. After viewing the activities I was with the wife of a representative from the British Embassy in Rabat who had fixed her eye on a beautiful and clearly expensive pouffe. 2000 dh was the asking price which eventually dropped to 1500 dh. The tanneries person wouldn't go lower and the lady asked my opinion. Well I hadn't seen anything quite that nice before but clearly it wasn't worth 1500 dh.

I saw a pouffe more of less identical to those which I know I can get for 160 dh, and suggested she ask the price of that one. "900 dh" was the answer, some five times a reasonable value.

We left.

The souqs are kept alive by locals purchasing the items for sale, the tourist trade is just the icing on the cake. So when looking at items you have to ask yourself what value would a relatively poorly paid local place on the item?

And the other way of accessing value is to think in terms of labour costs+material costs+profit. The guys making the pouffes are earning at most 100 dh/day. The materials in this high-end pouffe possibly 50-100 dh. So my 'fair price' for the high-end pouffe would be 350 dh rather than 1500 dh.

OK, so this is a bit harsh. Some would argue that tourists should expect to pay more, and certainly another way to assess value is to ask "what is this worth to me?" So maybe 500 dh then. But 1500 dh was an outright rip-off.

My favoured place for buying pouffes is Bazaar Rabab in Ouarzazate which is on the main street just to the east of the supermarket selling beer and wine. All prices are marked and are reasonable, and the pouffe prices start at 125 dh. I've been buying from there for years.

British Moroccan Society: British Moroccan Society