Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   marius1 and others; opinion about ATR (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/marius1-and-others-opinion-about-atr-525156/)

bat Apr 28th, 2005 03:37 PM

marius1 and others; opinion about ATR

Marius1, I see from other posts that you used Africa Travel Resource for your trip. Were you satisfied? Any other responders?
Thanks

bat May 2nd, 2005 10:42 AM

Help folks. Has anyone traveled on an ATR trip? I am about to book one and would feel better if someone is a satisfied customer.

amfs May 4th, 2005 01:13 AM

hi bat

I've been dealing with ATR and they seem pretty good, but havent actually used them for safari - sorry!!!

marius1 Nov 22nd, 2005 01:30 AM

Hello Bat, I am an infrequent visitor to this site so is it too late to answer your question? I assume so but let me know.

bat Nov 22nd, 2005 07:21 AM

Hi Marius:
I went ahead and booked with ATR--but would not mind hearing more details about your experience with the company. I read your earlier comments about Mawe Ninga. Did everything go smoothly on your trip? Did you like your guide, etc

Thanks

marius1 Nov 22nd, 2005 07:41 AM

We had a fantastic trip. We had a hitch at Nairobi airport as we didn't appear to be listed for our connecting flight. Turned out that our tickets were with the pilot so didn't arrive until the plane did. Our luggage was then lost. The airport staff were incredibly unhelpful but neither of these problems was down to ATR and they were helpful in ensuring our luggage caught up with us. (make sure you keep essentials in your hand luggage just in case).
We did the first part of our safari in the north of Tanzania (Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro) and the second in the Selous. We finished off at Pemba.
The guide provided by ATR for the northern parks was excellent - very friendly and knowledgeable - and it was great to have the same guide for this part of the trip. The staff at the ATR affliated lodges (Mawe Ninga, Olduvai Camp and one nights fly camping) were also very good and friendly. We spent a night at the Cater Lodge which was bizarre but certainly memorable.
In Pemba we stayed at Fundu Lagoon which was lovely and very relaxing.
The highlight was Sand Rivers in the Selous - I can't imagine safari experiences being much better - but then it did cost a lot more than the other places (apart from the Crater Lodge).
Overall, we had a superb holiday and can't wait to go again, so ATR must being doing something right.

bat Nov 22nd, 2005 09:07 AM

Thanks Marius. Glad everything (except the luggage) went well and that you had a great trip. Thanks for the assurances about ATR. Jealous of the Sand Rivers segment--but we are going in Feb so are concentrating on the serengeti--and consoling ourselves with nomad camps there.

marius1 Nov 25th, 2005 05:43 AM

Bat, I am sure that you are going to have an incredible trip and I am very envious. The Serengeti is awesome. Hope it goes well for you.

bat Nov 25th, 2005 10:59 AM

thanks-67 days and counting.