Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hotels/resorts recommendations in Hurgada and Cairo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Joelle

As a first timer to Egypt, I would like to receive recommendations for nice places: <BR>- with good scuba diving team in Hurgada <BR>- a great hotel in Cairo (near the Pyramids or downtown???) <BR>Many thanks in advance.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Dick

Joelle, as part of our Globus tour to Egypt last June we stayed at Mena House near the pyramids. It was great! The food was excellent and the view wonderful. Can not really comment on the price as such was included in the tour. Understand one can get room with view of pyramids. Our last nite in Cairo we stayed at hotel on island (I forget the name). Food was very good but noise from the street, nearby athletic fields and the outdoor lounge were too much --even though we were several floors up.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:44 AM
michele

Joelle, <BR>When are you going to Egypt? I will be there in early April, staying at the Semiramis in Cairo. I'd be happy to give you a report. I have heard wonderful things about the Mena, but it is not centrally located, and that is a prime consideration for us. Friends of mine stayed at the Marriott last year and loved it. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Lori

I vote for the Marriott. I met a businessman who travels to Cairo and that's the only place that he stays and said it's the tops. I liked it. I wouldn't recommend to stay all the way out by the pyramids.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Prue

Michelle, we are booked to stay at the Semiramus in September when we are in Cairo - I will be very grateful if you can post a report after you have stayed there in April.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Myriam

Joëlle, <BR>As far as scuba diving is concerned, we were at hotel Movenpick in El Gouna (30 km north of Hurghada). The hotel was very good (under Swiss management) and had a very good diving team (The Divetribe) with instructors of various nationalities. There was one disadvantage: to find good reefs we needed at least a 1,5 to 2 hour boattrip. <BR>Friends of us just came back from Sharm El Sheikh (Sinai) where they had a good reef right in front of their hotel and many other reefs e.g. the famous Ras Mohamed at 15 min. distance.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 01:40 AM
Joelle

Thanks to all who answered. <BR>The final plan looks it is going to be Cairo and Luxor. <BR>No diving this year for my husband, but some old stones to admire!!!