March Itinerary S. Africa

Sep 19th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

March Itinerary S. Africa

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating an itinerary for my March S. Africa trip (it's my first time to Africa and I can't wait!).

And after reading many of the postings and guide books, it seems that I am further from making any decisions that when I started (so many options!).

I'm hoping for some recommendations. Basically, what I do know is the following. I am flying into Johannesburg, and flying out of Cape town. I will have 15 days to enjoy the sights.

1) We thought we might start with Victoria Falls, but how do we get there from Johannesburg? Where should we stay (nice moderate prices)? How many days should we spend there? And any must sees?

2) Next is Kruger national park. We are trying to decide which part of the park to visit? Which private reserve is the best (without being too ridiculously expensive)? And how many days should we stay?

3) Next is Cape Town. How do we get there from Kruger? Any must sees along the way? Where should we stay once arriving (nice but moderately priced, and not in the center of the city)? What are the must sees? And how long to stay?

So many questions. Any insight would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

Heather
Sep 19th, 2004, 02:07 PM
sandi

Heather -

I don't know how your ticket is written, but often if flying via SAA (assuming you're flying from the States) the ticket should include the leg from JNB to CPT. When we did our trip we flew into JNB and connected upon arrival to CPT at no additional cost. However, I don't know whether you can do the same having already spent say 10-days in Vic Falls and Kruger, or if the leg has to be continuous? I would check with whomever wrote your ticket to get clarification on this. If you cannot have a break in travel, there is a flight from Kruger area - Hoedspruit or Nelspruit (my mind is blank, I can't seem to remember which) to/from CPT. And from JNB to Kruger area you can drive (5-6 hrs) or fly into Hoedspruit and then transfer to your camp/lodge.

In order to get to VFA, you fly from JNB and return likewise - airfare is about $350-$400 r/t person. You can do this the day after arriving in JNB (I don't believe there is an immediate connection to VFA on day of arrival - so it's next day). If going to VFA just to see the Falls, it's an expensive side trip; would suggest you stay a day or two, but you have to decide what you want to do while there and whether you want to stay in Zimbabwe or Zambia. Once that is decided, you can work on the Kruger portion of the itinerary.

I believe that Kruger needs a minimum of 4-days, 2-days at least at each camp/lodge. But if you can do 6-days, with 3-days each camp/lodge it would be better. You don't mention budget, but on the Private Reserves, i.e., Sabi Sand, or Manyeletti, or Timbavati, expect to pay at minimum $400-$500/pp/pn and you're going to have to look hard for this price, though doable. Check www.e-gnu.com and see the various camps/lodges available in the Mpumulanga (where Kruger is located) and prices - email them if necessary.

Cape Town needs at minimum 3-full days, 4-days if possible. Would suggest you do a search on this board and check postings from Selwyn who has provided excellent information on "what's to do in CPT"

I would also suggest you contact one of the in-country tour operators that receive excellent reviews on this board to work with:

Pulse Travel & Tours
Taga Safaris
Go2Africa

Hope this helps.

Sep 19th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Sandi,

Thanks so much. Some great recommendations that give me a place to start.

Heather
Sep 20th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi, any additional responses are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Heather

Search this Thread