Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Marakkech to Fez to Tangiers (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/marakkech-to-fez-to-tangiers-573520/)

jintravel Nov 29th, 2005 12:31 PM

Marakkech to Fez to Tangiers

How long does it take to travel between those three cities? Is train the best bet or is bus faster?

fassia Nov 30th, 2005 12:55 AM

Marrakech to Fes is definitely better by train. Trains leave evey 2 hours and the journey will take 7.5-8 hours. Buses are slower and you dont have the ability to get up and stretch your legs.

In fact, I'd say the same for Fes to Tangier. Again, trains depart regularly, journey time is about 5 hours. Sometimes you have to change trains in Sidi Kacem, but its a very easy change.

jintravel Nov 30th, 2005 08:53 AM

Thank you so much for your helpful and knowledgeable response!

I have a few more questions for you --
1) Do you know if there are overnight trains from Marakkech to Fes and if so, with sleeper cars? And how much is a typical train ride?

2) Are the ferries from Tangiers to Spain often enough that you don't need reservations ahead of time? Is trekking from Fes to Granada Spain via the ferry crossing worth it or would a flight on Royal Air Maroc or some other airline be a better option (only slightly more expensive)?

3) Do you know if you can see the Rock of Gibraltar during the ferry crossing between Tangiers and Tarifa, Spain?
Tangiers and Algecrias, Spain?

fassia Nov 30th, 2005 11:07 AM

1. There used to be overnight trains to Fes, but they've been removed from the schedule. There is still an overnight FROM Fes to Marrakech with sleeper cars (I've never taken a sleeper, so I cant vouch for the quality). A first class ticket from Marrakech to Fes will be about 20 euros give or take a couple.

2. The ferries are frequent, no need to make a reservation. I personally prefer the crossing at tarifa. The port is smaller and easier to manage and the crossing is much shorter. I cant think of any flights from Morocco to Andalucia that wouldnt take you via Madrid. Your best bet is the ferry to Tarifa or Algeciras and then the bus to Granada.

3. You cant see the rock from Tarifa, but you get a glimpse of it from the Algeciras crossing.

jintravel Dec 1st, 2005 01:52 PM

Thank you for your helpful response! You are amazing.
A few more questions:
1) Any reasonably priced riad recommendations in Fez?
2) Which souk is better Fez or Marrakech, better prices and merchandise?

fassia Dec 2nd, 2005 12:00 AM

Reasonably priced? Like under 100€? Try Riad Louna, Riad Bartal. Depending on the season, Ryad Mabrouka might be able to offer a good deal.

The questions about the souks is very difficult to answer. Marrakech has more variety of goods - but thats because it gets a lot more tourists and the bazaarists have learned to create things that appeal to foreign tastes. So, there are a lot of very non-traditional goods in Marrakech.

My advice would be dont plan to do your shopping in one place. Pick up things as you see them or feel inclined to bargain for them. You may find that you feel inherently more comfortable in Fes - or vice versa - so, I'd wait to see how you feel when you get here.