Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is there a lot of game at Singita and Phinda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will we see alot of different animals? Are there alot by the lodges or will we have to go in search to see any? From what I have read, the game in Botswana is much better, but how to Singita and Phinda compare? Thanks
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 04:13 AM
sandi

Botswana has different environments - at Chobe we were able to see some game from the camp and the few who walk onto the property, but most often you go out on a drive into Chobe Natl Park itself and that's where game is to be found.

In the Delta area, camps are closer to animals by the nature of where the camps are situated, practically, right in the middle of them - either as a land camp, water camp or both. So depending on season you can see lots and lots of animals immediately in front of your cabin/tent, or you can do so in a "mokoro" (canoe) for the water animals, and even just on land.

At Singita built on the banks of the Sabi River, and with no electrical barriers, animals can be seen in the river, across the river, and some march right thru the camp - but most rather not do this as they prefer not be around people. But monkeys (of some species) seem to always make themselves known wherever they are.

Usually you'll have two game drives a day where you leave camp and out on the reserve where you go in search for animals.

Haven't been to Phinda, so cannot comment, but assume it's more like Singita.

Animals are just that, and certainly not on the schedule of humans. Some drives you see lots of many kinds, on other drives you see others. But over a number of drives at various camps, you get to see quite alot.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, it wasn't till my 4th trip to Africa, did I see "my leopard"; and, for instance, in Chobe which is known for large Elephant herds (30,000), we managed to see only 3. So you have no guarantees what you'll see, or how many - overall I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:57 PM

I have not been to Phinda but was at Singita two months ago. I saw the big 5 in three days. I was astounded at how good the game was. Wandering in the river area near camp were various animals, buffalo, hippo (and baby), buck. But you will want to take those game rides, that is really what you're paying for. And the fun is in the search. You never know what will be around the next turn.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Lisa, rest assured that the game viewing at Phinda and Singita are nothing less than spectacular. During my second visit to Singita in May, we saw everything you could possibly want to see in South Africa (except wild dog). Phinda is nearby, so the game viewing is similar. However, Phinda has many leopards living on their concession. As I mentioned previously, an opportunity to stay at Lebombo would be amazing. If you go, I think that Colen is a fantastic ranger. Hope this helps...
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Did you stay at Phinda? If so, which camp?
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:30 AM
LstFltOut

Lisa, Forest Lodge at Phinda is your best bet. Ask for chalet #3.

You'll see the Big Five in one day. Phinda is a sand forest, and exqusite. Rangers and trackers are first rate. With seven diffrerent ecosystems, the variety is striking.

Singita and Phinda are different, as is Kruger and Phinda Reserve.

Botswana is an entirely different sitaution. Wilder and more animals. Suggest you contact Wilderness Safaris, as well as Fish Eagles in Houston, for more details.

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Lisa: I stayed at Phinda Forest and loved the enchantment of the sand forest. As I mentioned before, there are 16 or so chalets at Forest and only 6 at Rock and Vlei. So, it depends how much privacy you would like at meals. Forest chalets have no plunge pools, but Rock and Vlei do. Hope this helps.