Marakech-Ouarzazate by car?

Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:25 AM
Satn

Marakech-Ouarzazate by car?

I am planning to drive from Marakech to Ouarzazate by rental car this October 2001, and possibly to the dunes of M'hamid.
Has anyone driven this recently?
Could you pls tell me realistic driving-times for each leg? And any practical comments or reminescences are welcome.
Thank you
Stan

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:23 AM
fd

well, i did that, but not recently ( was year and a half ago ),but i find hard you find any major change. I did rent a car but with driver ( in the hotel, never in the street ) and the road conditions were fair untill 30 -50 km outside marrakech, but when you start climbing the atlas mountains, the road gets narrow and...don┤t look down.
Traffic wasn┤t intense, and I did saw some cars driven by westerns.
Main traffic is...old trucks and donkeys, but if I were you, I┤dd prepare a B plan, depending on the weather those roads seemed dangerous to me with rain or fog, and that is possible to happen, because I went in september and it was aprox 30║ in marrakech and 15║ in the mountains, so the weather is vital information.
Driving times...you can┤t count on long periods driving over 50 km\h, so for each leg...aprox 5 hours.

Aug 27th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Joelle

We rented a car last year in May and drove from Casablanca to Marrakech, and then from Marrakech to Ouarzazate and back. It took us three hours for each leg (no problems with the weather). When the road gets through the Atlas mountains between M'kech and Ouarzazate, landscapes are very impressive, so are the curves. But the road is good and we did not meet too many donkeys or goats!

Search this Thread