Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Mara without the migration- Still things to see? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/mara-without-the-migration-still-things-to-see-591883/)

cruisinred Feb 17th, 2006 06:14 AM

Mara without the migration- Still things to see?

OK, this is perhaps a daft question, but are there still significant numbers of animals to see in the Masai Mara when the migration is not in the area?

sandi Feb 17th, 2006 06:24 AM

Of course.

Just because so many wish to visit during the migration, doesn't discount those who don't and visit at other times. I've often traveled in November (short rains) and end-May (long rains) and though you may have to go further distances... believe me, the animals don't take a vacation. Besides, during these so-called "off-months" the Mara is wonderful - read: less tourists. Besides there are resident herds here that never migrate.

Patty's recent report detailed her trip in November, mostly Kenya, and time spent in the Mara.

Personally, I find the Mara wonderful at any time.

climbhighsleeplow Feb 17th, 2006 06:30 AM

I was just there in late Dec and early January and the Mara was good.

But it is better to stay inside the park or right at the border of the park during the off season. Some companies book people in Mara rooms only to find that the rooms are 3 hours outside the park!

divewop Feb 17th, 2006 07:25 AM

I'm in total agreement w/ Sandi.
I was there end of Feb. last year and there was a lot of action going on and tons of wildlife.
There probably isn't a time of year that I wouldn't go to the Mara. I absolutely love it.

kimburu Feb 17th, 2006 07:32 AM

Early December ditto... fantastic.

africa_lover Feb 17th, 2006 07:38 AM

What about second half of June in the Mara?

Would this be the normal time for the migration?

What about the Sopa lodge? does this one have a good location.
Don't mind about luxury this time.

philw Feb 17th, 2006 07:48 AM

I'm staying at Cottars (partly because of game walk and noght drive possibilities) for 5 days from next Thursday so will tell you in a couple of weeks ! I'm not expecting anywhere near the number of aninmals I've seen there in the past (mainly during migration time) but I'm sure it will still be great...

thit_cho Feb 17th, 2006 07:57 AM

For most of the resident animals, the Masai Mara is their home, and they don't get the chance to go on vacation to the Serengeti. You'll see plenty of elephant, buffalo, lion, cheetah, eland, ostrich, hippo, crocs, giraffe, etc.

I visited the Serengeti outside of migration, and I saw a lot (not as much as in the Masai Mara during migration, which I visited on the same trip), including plenty of cats.

Kavey Feb 17th, 2006 08:01 AM

I was there at the very beginning of April 2004 (start of one of the rainy seasons) and there was PLENTY of wildlife.

We were lucky with the weather too in that the only heavy rain happened during the nights and not during the day. We did have to get flown back to camp after one drive though - we crossed a river in the morning when it was low and when we came to cross back the waters from the previous night's rainfall had made their way down the hills and raised water levels massively - just in the space of a couple of hours! We were going to wait for the larger trucks in camp to come all the way to meet us and get us back but the camp manager was with us, knew some pilot friends and called on one who was flying guests between other camps - he kindly picked us up from an airfield near where we were stuck and dropped us back at the airfield nearest our camp!

waynehazle Feb 17th, 2006 08:36 AM

I was just there in the beginning of October. There were still a few wildebeest and zebra around, but they definitely didn't seem to be on the move. Perhaps they were just the lazier ones. ;)

Even though I didn't see any huge migrating, there were lots of other animals to see as others have already described.

sonali74 Feb 17th, 2006 10:04 AM

Well I would go to the mara in all months other than may and june, because of the rains in april the grass grows taller and the sightings are not as good as in other seasons. I was at mara serena 2004 june and only saw 2 lions, 1 cheetah in a stay of 3 nights. Previously I was there in oct end nov beg in 2002 and I must have seen 10 times the amount of wildlife in a 3 night stay.
Sonali

mkhonzo Feb 17th, 2006 12:19 PM

I have been in the mara in feb, may, july and october. Yes the migration was great in Oct. Saw plenty lions and veru few other predators.

On the balance of the trips that I have done, seen plenty cats, last one in May last year, two leopard sightings broad daylight and both up trees. Have seen cheetah on all (out of migrations visits)

And have always seen a great number of SPECIES, however not in huge numbers, with the exception of elephant, bufffalo and giraffe.

Camps have varied, but must admit that I was impressed with the new tents at Mara Sarova, good value for $$.

Stayed at bateluer too, but for the $$'s and the game felt that Sarova was a better deal. But that's your choice and not mine. BTW, had a private guide so felt the accommodation was merley a place to rest my head & travelling solo wasn't trying to impress anyone, you knw the drill.

Nyamera Feb 17th, 2006 12:37 PM

I’ve been in the Mara in June and found it absolutely amazing, but then I haven’t been there at the same time as the migration. The grass was very high, but I enjoyed discovering lions in it.

sonali74 Feb 17th, 2006 02:55 PM

Well I think u got a be lucky to have good sightings. I had the same driver/guide like my friends who travelled later june, I was there earlier(but only a few days apart) and they had great sightings at the mara,lots of lions, many cheetahs and around 3 leopards(I remember now I was green with envy)Sonali.

tuskerdave Feb 17th, 2006 03:02 PM

hi, i also visited the mara this past june. first time for that time of yr. i didnt expect to see the migration animals there. i just wanted to go.
it was still great. many many lions around. i also took a full day hike with 3masai. yes, some wet and a lot of mud!
good stuff.best have 4x4-a real 4x4. you will need it to get over the other side of what they call:
double cross.
i was also there this past late oct. spent 6days in the mara. thousands upon thousands of animals. believe me-they looked like armies scattered all across the plains. most were all in the west side of the mara then.
this time go june-next time-during the migration.
have fun
d
ps, lets hope the rains come by the time you go.

santharamhari Feb 17th, 2006 05:07 PM

Let me add my 3 cents....i think Mara at any time is awesome.....

Especially non-migration time, when the crowds are maybe fewer?

I have been twice to the Mara....Early July and Early Sept during the migration. Both times phenomenonal. The first time........lots of lions and cheetahs (NO migration). During the migration.........lots and lots of lions, one leopard and cub (Big cat diary story) and the cheetah mother and her 3 babies (also featured on the 2002 big cat diary)