Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Africa & the Middle East (
-   -   mara or north serengeti nov first -second week (

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 01:05 AM

mara or north serengeti nov first -second week

I have only 6-7 nights available in the first and second week of november from the 6th to the 13th,where should I spend my days, in the mara or northern serengeti to get the most spectacular views of the migration and big cats,and which camps/lodges for best wildlife viewing(guides and vehicles), prices no issue,


sandi Oct 28th, 2007 05:06 AM

Will this be for this yer '07 or next Nov '08? If '07, there might not be much available; for '08 you have time to book.

Depending on the rains, many of the herds should be returning to the Serengeti at this time. Though there are still herds in the Mara.

Suggest you look at select Tanzania, select Serengeti, select Seasonal Lodges (this includes the mobile camps) also select other camps links.

You'll find details of many lodges/camps in the northern areas from which to choose. There are maps which give an idea of location of each.

Good luck.

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 06:17 AM

Sandi, thanks,

this trip is for this year, and at present accomodation is available at mara explorer, interprids, some governors camp( and also as the mara system has sooo many lodges and camps, I mean camps with good guidance and service as I have gone through the threads of fodors, they seem available, as we need only one room ) the only thing is that if u can recommend some good camps where the wildlife concentration is good I can manage my bookings, I would love to know where the migration is at the moment and the weather patterns to forecast animal movements, taking that into consideration, should I do both the mara and serengeti or only one of them as sayari and nomad as well as serengeti under canvas have availability, what should I do?


sandi Oct 28th, 2007 06:40 AM

Difficult to do both countries w/o adding flights, flights and more flights - from one park to a transfer point, flight to next country, then flight to the specific area. There is no direct transfer between the Mara/Serengeti by road.

If you can get space in Tanzania, I'd consider Sayari or Nomads. Sayari price a tad lower than Nomads, but shared game drives. With Nomads each tent has own vehicle/guide. Serengeti Under Canvas, will be the most expensive and shared game drives.

If you decide to stay in Kenya, then I'd select Explorer over Intrepids which is a large 30/tent camp; the former only 10/tents. If Governor's also with 30/tents, I'd choose their Little Governor's or Il Moran, both smaller than Main Governores. All offer shared game drives.

At this time of year, difficult to know exactly where game and amount would be in either area. There are millions of heads of game - wildies, zebra, antelope - they move at their own pace.

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 06:51 AM

Thanks for all the info,

I am planning 2-3 nights mara explorer( would I get a private vehicle in explorer like nomads) also is sala camp open in november, that is so close to tanzania ????(how is it) and then fly nbo-jro-kogatende, stay nomads for 3 nights and fly out of jro.

What do u think, it will be too hectic or maybe the explorer camp can do a trasffer via the siria isebania border and nomads can pick me up, I have no idea. Is this possible, also i have heard that giving some $ at sand river they let u cross and re-cross is that possible ?


crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 09:02 AM

Hello again just topping up,


crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 09:07 AM

Sandi, sorry just missed the part where u mentioned shared game drives in mara. Do u know agood camp
which would give a private vehicle, specially in southern west mara(in latest reports the migration seems to be there) correct me if I am wrong thanks

sandi Oct 28th, 2007 03:47 PM

You can have private vehicle at Explorer if you pay about $300+/day for the vehicle/guide. And, if a vehicle is available.

The drive from the Mara via Isebania to the Northern Serengeti is a long one. Personally, not sure the exact route that would be taken. Often the trip takes 10/hrs. I'd guess that Nomad's or Sayari will charge a fortune to pick-up at Isebania. Then you have to pay for Kenyan vehicle to return to its base (probably NBO) empty.

At the Sand River gate a Kenyan vehicle can cross into Tanzania (and vice versa), but can only go a short distance before someone realizes by your license you don't belong. Private vehicles only (Kenyan or Tanzanian citizens) can legally, with appropriate permits, cross this way; not tourist vehicles.

You'd have to fly from Mara to Wilson; Wilson to JRO; connect to flight to Kogatende, Klein's or Lobo airstrips, depending on area of Serengeti at which your camp is located.

Nyamera Oct 28th, 2007 03:56 PM

I had a private Explorer vehicle for more than 2 days paying less than $300 per day for everything (airfare included) and not even staying at Explorer.

Nyamera Oct 28th, 2007 04:01 PM

Munni, Id prefer Rekero to Explorer.

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 04:09 PM

thanks Sandi, then what do u suggest 3 nights explorer, fly back, fly to arusha/jro, then northern serengeti for 3 nights(would 3 nights be sufficient, at both places or u would suggest more)

Is it possible in one day ???? all the flights ????

Or I will have to stay back in arusha, and take the flight next morn ????

according to u which are the best camps in mara other than heritage and governors property,

like sala, rekero and naibor (are they closed in november)


Nyamera Oct 28th, 2007 04:13 PM

With only 6-7 nights Id stay in either the Mara or the Serengeti and Id be very happy even without the migration.

Id not encourage corruption in Kenya, or anywhere else.

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 04:16 PM

nyamera, this is amazing to get explorer vehicle, a private one with out staying there, how did u manage that ?? pls tell me

I would love to stay at rekero, as I have read good reviews, but is the camp open in november???

thanks for the info,


sandi Oct 28th, 2007 04:22 PM

Rekero and Naibor are closed in November.

Getting from the Mara to Northern Serengeti can be done in 1/day... but that will be almost a full day of travel.

Departing Mara at 11am, connect to JRO by 1pm, from JRO at 2:30pm to Serengeti (with possibily 2-3 stops along the way). Not arriving here until time of afternoon game drive which camp who meets you might do immediately. Then you'd have 2/full days here.

Day 1- to Mara
2. Mara
3. Mara
4. Fly to Wilson, to JRO, to Serengeti - Serengeti
5. Serengeti
6. Serengeti
7. Fly via Arusha to NBO, home.

That's it.

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 04:27 PM

Nyamera, I agree about the corruption, but god !!! for that maybe 20-50 km drive or even less, we foreigners have to do soooo much travelling and not only that it is very expensive(flights).

Is there a legal way of crossing into the serengeti via mara with a private vehicle ???? then taking a flight back from serengeti to arusha ??

Given the time period of my 7 days in the 2nd week of nov 2007, if I want to go only mara or serengeti ?
where should I go,

Are u from kenya/tanzania by any chance since ur screen name is african


Nyamera Oct 28th, 2007 04:27 PM

I had a look at Rekero's website and forgot what i was looking for when I found this:

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 04:36 PM

Sandi thanks for all the info, but given a pick in the 2nd week of nov, Where would u be the mara or serengeti ????, the migration is imp but more imp are the big cats, what would u suggest???

I know this is a difficult question but if u have to take your chances where would u be,

Otherwise would it be safer to do both ( would that be more enjoyable, as price is no issue)


sandi Oct 28th, 2007 04:48 PM

"price no issue" - well, flights are flights and not inexpensive, distances are long. Basically, you can't get there from here. No direct route, and that's that! So, either split the time between both countries or stick with only one.

While price per night, room rates will be lower than in the peak-season, other costs don't change much.

There are thousands upon thousands or wildees and zebra and move on their own schedule... our being their doesn't mean much to them. Some will still be in Mara, others in the Serengeti. Check with your agent where space is available, the costs of these camps and flight costs... then make a decision.

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 04:58 PM

Thanks Sandi,

I have already checked flights and accomodation are available, my agent is quoting around 4000 $ is it a good price ????

crazyaboutafrica Oct 28th, 2007 05:01 PM

I mean 4000 $ per person, nbo to nbo

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:52 AM.