Mara in Nov.

Jan 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Mara in Nov.

My agent suggested going to the Mara after we see gorillas in Rwanda and it sounds like we might have a chance to see the end of the migration? I would like a small camp though, with open vehicles if possible-what do you recommend?
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM
santharamhari

Rekero Tented or Little GOvernor's.

Jan 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM

we were there this past Nov, the last few days of nov. the migration was over, but every year is different.

we stayed at Olonana, it's a very small tented camp, i think only 11 or 12 tents. very very nice with open vehicles. It's a few miles outside of the northern part of the triangle. It's right on the mara river and there is a resident population of hippos across from the tents.

joyce

Jan 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM

The Mara is always a happening place. Even without THE migration, there are lots of animals and resident wildebeest & zebra that remain.

If you did not go to the Mara, what would you do instead?

Joyce mentioned they missed the migration. Even so here's a quote from her recent report about the Maasai Mara.
"Our last few days we were discussing our highlights and the list kept growing. Our overall favorite was the Mara..."

I agree with all the camps recommended.
Jan 21st, 2007, 02:46 AM

we were at olonana this past end nov/ first days dec.
excellent 12 tents camp and very nice people.
would like to have Santharamhari opinion regarding both camps mentionned.
jean-jacques
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:22 AM
aby

hi MM
why not do Mara BEFORE ??
(earlier the better)
aby
Jan 21st, 2007, 06:56 AM
santharamhari

jean jacques,

I have only been to Little Governor's camp of the two. I highly recommend the location and game viewing. Have heard a lot of good things about Rekero and would be my camp of choice for my next mara stay.

Kitchwa Batleur was also very nice. However, they had to drive into the triangle area for the better game viewing (this was in 2001).

In 2002, when i went to Lil Gov's we couldnt land at the airstrip for about 20mins because the migration was right at the camp area. The jeeps had to chase the animals off and we landed later. It was a fabulous trip (also perfect timing)

Hari

Jan 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Yes, we may do the Mara first. I am trying to get FF tkts and may end up going thru Dubai and then purchasing tkts to NBO, otherwise have to go thru JNB. Would the Mara be comfortable temps at that time of year?
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM
sandi

Daytime temps in the Mara are comfortable year-round, but for their summer months (Jan - Mar) when it's hot. In November, you'll find temps in the mid- to hi-70s, nights and mornings will be cool, maybe 50-55 for which you should have a light jacket or heavy sweater. But, as we've all learned, weather is changeable, so layering is a good idea... a thermal-t is good to pack and small enough and weightless. The only concern in November is possible rain, usually a brief shower, but again, this past year proved otherwise, with rain, rain and more rain thru December and into January.

I too would suggest reversing the itinerary to visit the Mara first, closer to October. But, we've been in the Mara late November and the herds will still hanging in there. You just never know. If planning early enough, you might be able to get the camps you want - Rekero or Little Governor's are good choices. Olonana is lovely, but may run you more than the other two. Also, some camps reduce their high-season prices as of Oct 15, others Nov 1.

Keep us posted on your decisions.

Jan 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info-weather sounds just fine in the Mara then and better than some of the SA parks I was considering. I like the idea of Cottar's camp also because of the vehicles for each tent but that's not such a good location for early Nov?
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM

Olonana's rack rate drops to 278pppn as of Nov 1, so I think which camp is higher/lower cost just depends on the exact timing.

moremiles,
Did you see Eben's Mara update? http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34932659

He mentioned that Serian offers each party their own vehicle. I didn't know that Cottar's did that too.

It would be helpful if we could put together a list of the camps which offer a private vehicle for each party.