Mara Explorer, Tortilis, Pinewood Village?

Sep 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Mara Explorer, Tortilis, Pinewood Village?

I'm planning my honeymoon in Kenya for the last two weeks in October.

I'm tentatively booked to stay our first night in Nairobi at Macushla House.

We then head to Tortilis for 3 nights, then to Mara Explorer for 3 nights, before heading to Pinewood Village for 6 nights on the beach.

Any comments/suggestions/advice about this itinerary? Has anyone stayed at these places? Are they good for a honeymoon?

Thanks,
-Adam
Sep 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM
sandi

Adam - you did good! Great choices. How are you getting to/from Tortilis and Mara Explorer? Drive or fly? I'm sure you're flying to Mombasa for Pinewood Village.

What time do you arrive in NBO? If late, and you only have the night at Macushla before heading out to Amboseli, I might suggest, you spend the next day in NBO, doing the tourist things - visit Karen Blixen Museum, stop at the Giraffe Center, lunch or dinner at The Carnivore, and even sundowners at The Norfolk Hotel.

It might seem to be a full day, but considering whether you drive or fly to Amboseli it would be an early start - if flying the flight is about 8am (or thereabouts) and after a long In'tl flight it's like "out of fire into frying pan." Doing a day in NBO, you can sleep later - get over any jetlag, as you don't have to do the touring stuff till later in morning. Just something to think about.

Tortilis is lovely, one of my favorites - see if you can get Tent #9, which has a clear view to Mt. Kilimanjaro if there are no clouds. Mara Explorer is 5* all the way and situated in a perfect spot in the Mara.

I wasn't familiar with Pinewood Village, but checked the site and "I like" - small, intimate, with emphasis on honeymooners (so probably no children around). Like I said, you did good!

Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM

aip-1974.....I'm considering Macushla House for two nights in January. Will you please post a report on this property when you return? I'm traveling with another woman and we're thinking of each getting a single room. I believe there is a single room in each wing. I sure would appreciate it if you could take a peek at the single rooms, if possible, and let me know how small they are. I can handle cozy, but not claustrophobic. Also, do you have an e-mail address for the Inn? I'd like to request a brochure. Thanks for your help and have a fantastic honeymoon.
Oct 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Ajp, Sandi

Oh I got shivers down my spine when I read that you are planning to stay Macushla. I am from Nairobi and used to love Macushla. Dinner, lunch tea, drinks..you name it and I was there. Sadly, the management has changed and standards have really plummeted. The last time I was there (in April I think) it was truly awful. Food was a joke (have you ever in your life waited for forty five minutes for a plate of chips???), dirty table linen, clueless staff. It was terrible. Dont get me wrong it still is pretty but its definitely not the little gem that it used to be a couple of years ago; theres something unkempt about it that was really sad. I for one would not be happy to begin my honeymoon there. I could be wrong...perhaps theyve pulled up their socks now. If I were you I would try to verify this first. Or if you want I can get in touch with people in Nairobi, find out what the deal is and then repost. Adam...I dont know what your budget is like Ngong House is exquisite but somewhat more expensive. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread