Mara and Zanzibar August

Apr 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Mara and Zanzibar August

Thanks everyone for your recommendations on horse riding in Kenya/ Tanzania I am increasingly tempted to arrange a visit to Kenya at the end of August. Do you think I am too late to book for this year?. I have been to the Mara twice before and both times stayed at the Mara Intrepids Club but the second time it seemed larger and more impersonal, does any one have a recommendation for somewhere small and friendly where everyone eats together in the evening? I would like to end with a few days diving I have been to Malindi in July and it was quite cold, do you thing Hemmingways on the coast would be good or would it be better and warmer in Zanzibar? Any recommendations, medium posh and firendly, Thanks Yvonne
Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:26 AM

Yvonne Hi

look no further! Serian in the Mara (www.serian.net [email protected]) is the way forward. really a very welcoming and persoanl atmosphere where everyone mingles in the evening. Great guides, fabulous dining and great wildlife hidden in a secluded corner. sounds like i should be writing their brochure! suffice to say Alex Walker and his crew run a great camp! Otherwise you could look at Richards Camp (www.richardscamp.com)in Lemek that runs a similar style of operation.

The weather at the coast is no different really and Zanzibar or Malindi would be similar. Perhaps try looking north to Manda Bay (www.mandabay.com) Andy and Fuzz have a great product here again of a similar ilk. In Zanzibar Ras Nungwe is persoanl but in the lower end, breezes is very nice and Palms more intimate. In stone town Emerson Green has been long established and is well patronised. Hope t his helps, good luck!
Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:13 AM
sandi

Dates will matter, as space is closing or is pretty quickly closing up.

Serian also has a fly-camp, if no space at their main camp. Richard's, as mentioned is also a good option. For a bit more lux is Saruni (surprisingly, costs a few $$$ less than Richard's). Also, Saruni has a fly-camp - Campi ya Tembo w/ 3 tents. There's also Elephant Pepper with 6 new en-suite tents and great hosts. The food at Elephant Pepper and Saruni is positively outstanding.

Serian, Richard's and Saruni are all owner hosted. And above, the couple who manage at Elephant Pepper are wonderful and so fun.

Apr 4th, 2006, 02:31 AM

Sandi FYI,

Paul and Jill sadly are moving on. I met them in the mara recently and they are off to south America to travel a little more after four years at C&P's Ele Pepper camp.

Apr 4th, 2006, 05:00 AM
sandi

mzeetembo -

I hadn't heard yet. I know they'll be sorely missed at Elephant Pepper. They were two of the most amazing and interesting hosts (Paul is a hoot) we've met in our many stays everywhere. What an interesting life they have... and for their little one. Though he's still too young to even remember what his parents are offering him. Wonder who'll be replacing them; will be quite a challenge. Thanks for the update.

Apr 5th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

sandi I gather you put together iteneries for Kenya can I e mail you direct? how would I do that ?Yvonne
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:21 AM
sandi

Yvonne -

Of course you can at: www dot africaserendipity dot com thru the contact page(or info at africaserendipity dot com). It'll get to me.

Search this Thread