Mara accommodations and driving time

Dec 7th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Mara accommodations and driving time

For a 2-night safari in september, do you recommend staying at the Sarova Mara, the Mara Serena, or Kichwa Tembo camps? (All are about the same cost)

Also, if we are driving from Naivasha, which one is the "easiest" to drive to?
Dec 7th, 2005, 06:46 PM

hello, I would definately prefer the serena as it in the heart of the mara Or Kichwa which just lies outside the game reserve so u can do a night game drive. How many nights u have in the mara?? You can split up between the two places
Dec 8th, 2005, 03:53 AM

I agree with the previous poster. Don't know which is easiest to get to but neither should be hard from Naivasha. I'd rather start my first day from the middle of the action from the Serena.
Dec 8th, 2005, 04:13 AM

The drive to the Sarova will be shorter than the Serena or Kichwa Tembo, but once you get to the reserve it's all game viewing. What you might consider is a lunch stop at the Sarova or any of the other eastern area lodges followed by a leisurely game viewing drive to either the Serena or Kichwa Tembo arriving at your accomodation in the late afternoon.

Since you're only staying 2 nights, have you considered flying or a one way flight back? It's a long drive to/from the Mara for essentially only one full day.

(Sorry bat, I promise to get started on my trip report soon )
Dec 8th, 2005, 04:57 AM

simba

I also agree that the Serena is best in September (if you can get a room)!

You can see the lodge locations on my Google Earth map (load the file into google earth, zoom in and click on the lodge icons:

http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/masaimarai.htm
Dec 8th, 2005, 05:16 AM
sandi

The Serena has probably the best location in that price range, but is also booked solid, and has been for sometime. Only as you get closer to your departure date - 60-days prior will blocked bookings be released.

With only 2-nights, you should select one of the others. Serena is a lodge, the KT & Sarova are tents. Grab what you can and waitlist yourself for the Serena if your outfitter can't currently confirm space here.

The drive from Naivasha is long, Sarova would be the closest, but as Patty mentions, you should consider a flight to return to NBO.

Dec 8th, 2005, 05:45 AM
bat

That's OK Patty--you can't help being helpful--nothing wrong with that.
Dec 8th, 2005, 06:00 AM

I stayed at the Serena on my first safari, and the location is stunning and the game-viewing incredible. Don't know about driving there, though, since we flew in from Nairobi.
Jan 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM

I sayed at the Mara Sopa and liked it there.

Search this Thread