Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

FABULOUS Safari Clothing - Might as well look FINE... :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting together my safari wardrobe. So far the plan is for heading to Kenya in September or so. Any tips on TRES fashionable safari wear? Yes, yes, I know it must be washable, and NOT blue, white, or red, but then what?

Thank you for reading this.

Mariacallas
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 04:04 AM

unless you are doing a walking safari wear whatever you are comfortable with. If you enjoy fashion, well then head out to your favorite store and buy what you want. I promise you the vehicle you in is going to be way more conspicuous than your gucci getup.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Suggest you first go shopping in your closet.

There's probably items in there that will serve you well. Clothing should be comfortable, washable (if you must), stick to interchangeable colors. For sure they don't have to be designer as if stepping off the pages of Vogue.

If your closet doesn't present any or you need a few fill-ins... the Gap, TJMaxx, etc. should have what you need and do check the "sales" racks. You don't really need more changes of clothing than for the longest stay (a particular park/reserve), then switch these outfits thru your entire stay. Laundry can be done at most properties at reasonable prices.

You'll need a coverup - jacket, sweater or thermal-t - for early mornings/nights when the temps are cool/cold. Maybe a change for evenings as brown or black pants with a great sweater/shirt and scarf (but "dress-up" isn't necessary)... just that some prefer to get out of datime safari-tan.

Do a search on this board for the many threads on this subject.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mariacallas, great diva that you are, you must, as sandi suggests, have some fabulous clothes already in your closet. On my last safari we met a gorgeous woman with beautiful clothes at one camp. Her husband was also extremely well-dressed. They looked designer-safari to me, but in a good way, a bit retro. The color palette of the woman's wardrobe was safari but the clothes looked very fine, well made, expensive. If that's what you want, go for it. Find clothes you love in appropriate fabrics. And have fun!

I'm thinking of not bringing "nice" pants for dinner this time. The gorilla trekking is adding a whole other set of clothes/gear to the regular safari stuff, and it's getting to be a PITA. I have some "nice" longsleeve tunic-y tops for dinner.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Why must it not be blue, white or red? Am I missing something?
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 04:25 PM
TC

Linen, linen, linen! Thin, white tees, a fabulous big hat, and an Egyptian cotton caftan. That should do.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM

No blue = attracts tse tses.
No white = it will be dirty in 5 minutes.
No red = In general bright colors are discouraged, so the same goes for neon. However if you remain in the vehicle, colors are not so important. On walking safaris, earth tones are crucial.

Now, greens are fine, MissGreen provided they are neither lime nor military camouflage.

Though I'm not sure if they are très fashionable, a pair of leopard print or zebra striped socks are fun for when you remove your footware and stand on the seats, which is common in Kenya's closed vehicles, with the open roof.

Leely, you did not mention the scarf! I'm shocked. You always suggest a lightweight silk scarf for evening.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM

I have said this before...so forgive me if I bore those who know!!

I packed out of here looking like Out of AFrica...and felt the perfect fool once there!!! I did a driving safari and ended up every day w/ my pants rolled to capri length and wearing my flip flops!

If you walk about then of course it a different story. The animals see the top of your head peeking out w/ a camera at eye....and could care less. The lions will actually yawn into your lens!!

I agree..think linen, cotton and comfortable!!! You dont even need much as they do laundry at the hotels and camps etc....and mine even came back all folded w/ bows in a basket!!! Yes I took a picture!

However...be prepared for one of the most fabulous trips you have ever experienced. It was amazing!!

Travel safe!
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<i>Leely, you did not mention the scarf! I'm shocked. You always suggest a lightweight silk scarf for evening.</i>

Lynn, I always talk up the scarves, and wear scarves a lot at home, but I don't think I've ever worn a scarf on safari. I may have never even packed one. I still think it's a good idea and will be muttering "Don't forget to pack a scarf!" on my deathbed.

Scarf!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Depending on your hair length, you might need something -- a scarf or hat or pony tail holder -- to keep your hair from blowing in your face while driving in an open vehicle.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Mariacallas,
I found very cute safari clothing from a company called SHE Safari based in Houston. Take a look, you might find something you like. Here is the link: www.shesafari.com/

I also found the same pants I purchased from SHE Safari on another site for $20.00 cheaper. Here is that link: http://www.long-grass.com/products/d..._pocket_pants/

ATRAVELYNN,
I just found this adorable lime colored shirt made by Columbia that has SPF and is so stylish and most importantly comfortable. Should I return it?
I also have coral, sky blue, pink, and yellow shirts that are quick dry and have SPF. Are these appropriate?
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
TC

Ladies....anything that is comfortable is "appropriate". We saw every color in the rainbow. No one said one word regarding the colors of clothing. I don't happen to wear hot pink, as its not "in my color wheel", but really -- <i>much ado</i>......

Leeanna is right. Take enough of what you like for one camp, have laundry done and move on to the next.

BTW, I <u>did</u> use my scarf a lot. It was quite cool on our morning and evening drives in open vehicles. I used it around my neck and to cover my face from the wind. If you are in a closed vehicle, might not be needed.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Don't return the lime shirt unless you plan to make it your walking safari uniform. You may not even be going on a walking safari.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 10:53 AM

MC - I'll bet you make -anything- you wear look grreeaaat!!!

regards - tom
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM

I did use my cotton scarf which goes every where w/ me.....to cover my hair a few times as it was dusty.....esp w/ the top popped up etc. It did help to keep my hair clean.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Safaris are not for divas. I care about fashion, and on my first Africa trip I made the mistake of over thinking clothes. I ended up making fun of over-dressed tourists, who stood out like albino elephants. Keep it simple. Comfort is key. And no black. Too hot. Easy care (no ironing!) cotton for coolness. Ix-nay on oly-ester-pay, for me. After your first game drive at 5:30 a.m. you'll likely forget about makeup, jewelry, your hair. At least I hope you do.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all this great information. I am preparing my master list now. I REALLY appreciate it so much.

Yours
MC
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Having been to Africa, it is a beautiful country to enjoy and experience, even with its many social/political negatives. If you are going with the idea to impress people with your "upscale" dress, why not stay at home and view a tape.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM

I too worried about appropriate clothes before our safari. I don't usually wear beige/muddy green/khaki colours so those colours are not in my wardrobe. But you don't need much. The advice given before is correct - no need for much fashion, most camps do laundry, cotton is best, limit the poly (too hot). Linen good but wrinkly after you have stuffed everything in the small duffle bag you are limited to on the small planes. Buy beige/green runners for foot comfort. I wore shorts some days trying to take advantage of the sun by tanning my ugly white legs! But we see people wearing bright colours and lots of summer whites - they looked ridiculous. The idea is to blend in with the vegetation not to stand out like a sore thumb. Most important is to take a wide brimmed hat with a hard rim so it doesnt' blow up when your vehicle is racing to follow some stunning animal activity that cannot be missed. As others have said, no matter what you wear, you will experience the most moving, brilliant, privileged time of your life. You will be speechless and in awe the whole time you are on safari. Lucky you!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM

All I can add is that I found those special safari style light tan trousers with zip-off pant legs very comfortable. They are usually made of a light weight material which washes easily. It can be cold at the start of an early morning safari but later on, when it gets hot all you do is zip off the legs and voila, you are waring a pair of shorts. The other way around in the evening, when the sun sets I like to cover up against the mozzies. Shirts are available of the same material. Wear a top underneath and at night use the shirt as a jacket. Also, those 4 x 4's tend to be dirty and muddy so I wouldn't worry too much about your appearance. It's the animals that count after all. Hamba Kahle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -