Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Mapula Wild Dog den located! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/mapula-wild-dog-den-located-388936/)

PredatorBiologist Jul 4th, 2008 06:59 AM

Mapula Wild Dog den located!

Yesterday the Mapula guides have located this years wild dog den so those headed there are in great shape for viewing the dogs.

sniktawk Jul 4th, 2008 08:15 PM

Hi Bill,

You would have thought that someone mught have said thanks for the info, clearly not. They all seem to be interested in creating fake identities, being rude and posting even sillier queries. Thanks again from me, no doubt all the rest of the posters who said they have booked to go there will answer soon.

sniktawk Jul 5th, 2008 07:39 AM

If I keep posting this it may stay near the top, so I will!

PredatorBiologist Jul 5th, 2008 08:23 AM

Pleasure to share the info Ken, thanks for your email and further acknowledgement here. I can make no rhyme or reason out of what ilicits responses on this board. Some truly obscure things can go for days and days and then sometimes good topical information is unresponded to but I'm sure lots of people read it and just do not post so it is good to be near the top for at least 2 or 3 days.

Clearly all our interests are not in the same place and my wild dog interest far exceeds most. I've seen before that current dog news usually does not attract a lot of posts.

Dana_M Jul 5th, 2008 08:34 AM

Great info PB. I'm sending it back to the top. I think there are quite a few posters here from the U.S. and maybe people (like me) weren't on-line yesterday due to the holiday. I have a disproportionate interest in the dogs too, but sadly I don't have a trip to Mapula in the works.

atravelynn Jul 5th, 2008 02:15 PM

Unfortunately I am not headed to Mapula. I have not been busy creating fake identities, honest because I could never keep track of who I was.

Any rudeness on my part is by accident or misunderstanding cultural norms. As for silly queries, I've had my share, not to mention silly comments.

I hope there are many pups. Thanks for the good news!

sniktawk Jul 5th, 2008 09:13 PM

Well Bill,

That seems to have worked. I thought there were a few morw Wild Dog nuts on this forum, the last time good news was posted.

basto Jul 6th, 2008 11:47 PM

Hi Bill,

I missed this post in april, but still it is interesting. I am just trying to arrange to visit Mapula in March next year. My economy makes only green season possible, so we´ll try to go in the last days of March.

Is it usually around this time that they find the den ? How is the viewing before the den is located, because that is one of the things that makes Mapula top of our list of camps we want to visit. Do they hunt as usual or are the dogs more focused on finding a good and safe den ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom

Mohammed Jul 7th, 2008 01:00 AM

Oh if I could only go to Mapula to see these very rarely sighted masters of the African bushveld....!

Anyone going to that location can consider such a tip very very valuable indeed.

sniktawk Jul 7th, 2008 02:47 AM

I'll be there in 24 days and hopefully be lucky both with viewing and photography.

torrem Jul 7th, 2008 04:38 AM

PB, thanks so much for the great news, I'll be at Mapula on Aug 17&18, I can't wait!

basto Jul 7th, 2008 05:04 AM

Hi again Bill,

Please excuse my former post, I read the date in my "european manner" and thought you posted already in april... Should have known better, but I got too excited.

Sorry for the confusion.

Congratulations to all you guys going there in the near future!

best regards,
Tom

tripgirl Jul 7th, 2008 05:16 AM

I just saw wild dogs for the first time on my recent trip to SA and Botswana.

I can see why all you dog lovers are well... dog lovers!

It was a magnificent site. We saw it while in Singita in SA.

This den had new babies born and no one saw them as of yet and alas we did not see the babies either, but the adults were fun to watch and I am so glad our guide took the time to find the den and we enjoyed throughly.

Mapula sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for posting this for those who like the dogs..... I'm a fan now too :-)!

kata1 Jul 7th, 2008 12:39 PM

I love the dogs as much as everyone, and hope the guides do not go too close to the den, as the dogs will often move the pups, if they feel threatened...these animals are so close to the edge of making it, I hope none of us would jeopordize a litter, by forcing the pack to re-locate just because we wanted a close up shot....In Zimbabwe, the project team does not even go near the den until the pups are at least 5-6 weeks old, and then they keep the tourists away for a few more weeks....sorry to lecture, but i have seen too many tourists push guides and offer money for the guides to break the rules "just for them" and it is hard for many guides to refuse money or our requests....have fun, hope the pups are doing well.....

PredatorBiologist Jul 7th, 2008 02:40 PM

kata: your points are well made but this will not be an issue at Mapula as they have an outstanding guide team from top to bottom and last year they actually had the dogs den twice so they have lots of experience with being careful at the densite and this pack is quite habituated to the tourism presence at the den too.

If all stays well Ken and Torrem should be in very good luck as the pack will probably remain at the den until near the end of August.

Tripgirl: I saw that you had great luck with dogs at the den at Singita! The pups won't typically come out of the den until they are around 4 weeks old so those must be very young.

Tom: the pups are usually born around June so not likely to be a den when you are there in March but the dogs are seen frequently throughout the year so you have a decent chance. Mapula is so wonderful that you will love it for sure.

I am unfortunately with the rest of you interested parties that wish I had a trip to Mapula coming up!

kata1 Jul 7th, 2008 06:48 PM

predator biologist- glad to hear the guides will be careful....go visit Peter Blinston and Greg Rasmussen, in Zim, near the main gate going into Hwange..they have a great wild dog project, have been there since 92, I think. Or visit web site at www.painteddog.org. They have done great work, with the dogs and the local community and have almost doubled the dog popultion in that area. Glad so many people love the dogs..they are the best!

basto Jul 8th, 2008 03:33 AM

Hi again Bill,

thanks for your reply, and once again sorry for my mistake with the dates. How many are the Mapula-pack at the moment, and how many of last years pups have made it so far ?

Do you know any good books about wild dogs and their behaviour. I feel I really need to upgrade my knowledge about these fascinating animals.

best regards,
Tom

africaddict Jul 8th, 2008 04:10 AM

All good news Bill ;-)
Looking forward to our 12 days @ Mapula next Sept(09).
Any Wild Dog action will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Marc

PredatorBiologist Jul 8th, 2008 07:07 AM

Kata: the Painted dog guys in Zim are indeed doing great work and I do hope to find my way over there at some point.

Tom: no worries on the date, I do the same thing in reverse often when I communicate outside of the USA.

Currently the pack consists of 5 adults, 1 yearling and 3 9 month old adolescents, so they are close to having 9 strong dogs. There were 7 when they denned the first time last year so a little pack growth for the year. Interestingly only one puppy from last years alpha litter survived the year but 3 out of 5 of the subordinate females pups have made it to this point against very long odds.

I am waiting for more information on this years puppies and will share it as soon as I know something.

Marc: I will be there a week before you and I will tell the dogs to come and see you! Hopefully we will both have some luck. With your long stay I think your odds are very good as long as this pack stays in good health.

Tomsfries Jul 8th, 2008 07:29 AM

We will be in Mapula in November this year.
I hope to see the dogs. Although I know it´s harder to find them when the denning "season" is over.
At least we are always lucky with dogs. We have seen wild dogs every year but once when we´ve been to Botswana.
Last year we were lucky to see some in Kruger Park.
Thomas