Maps Showing Travel Distances for KY and TZ

Jul 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Maps Showing Travel Distances for KY and TZ

In planning an itinerary for Fall 09 travel to TZ and KY, I'd like to find a simple map showing travel distances between wildlife viewing areas. My DH cannot do long driving trips, so I want to plan an itinerary where we do driving only on shorter distances, and then see what costs would be on flying to some of the segments. This may not even be possible--can we get a driver/guide (there will be 4 of us) or other scheduled transportation for some segments but not the entire trip? We'd like to spend 10-12 days on safari. Thanks to all!
Jul 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Distances and road conditions are two different things. The 50/miles you can cover in the US in less than 1/hr, can take twice that on some roads in East Africa.

There is a chart showing distances somewhere, but I can't find it. If anyone has the link, please post. In fact, I had my own list and can't seem to located that either.

Ooops found mine:

DISTANCES

Below are some of the distances (in miles) that may be covered while on your safari:

KENYA:
Nairobi Amboseli, 150/miles SE
Nairobi Namanga*, 107 S
Nairobi Samburu, 220 N
Nairobi Ol Pejeta, 150 N
Nairobi Mt. Kenya SC* 140 N
OlPejeta/Mt.Kenya Samburu, 70 NMt. Kenya SC Aberdare, 30 S
Nairobi Lake Navaisha, 55 NW
Nairobi Lake Nakuru, 100 NW
Nairobi Masai Mara, 210+ SW**
Samburu Mt. Kenya SC, 100 S

* Mt. Kenya Safari Club
** Depending on where in the Mara your particular lodge/camp is located; distance can be longer.

TANZANIA:
Namanga Arusha, 73 S
Arusha Lake Manyara, 90 SW
Arusha Tarangire, 80 SE
Lake Manyara Ngorongoro C, 75 NW
Ngorongoro W. Serengeti,155 NW
W.Serengeti Lake Manyara, 195 SE

* Border crossing Kenya/Tanzania

A good outfitter knowing your limits can arrange a driving itinerary with short distances, proper stops in-between one location and another. Or arrange flights for the longest distances with the worst roads.

Jul 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandy--this will help when I marry it with a map.

Has anyone done a partial fly/drive the way I've described?
Jul 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Here's a link with distances and travel times.

http://safari.go2africa.com/africa-t...avel-times.asp

I have not done what you described, driving some and flying some, but I'm planning on doing just that in Tanzania next spring. It is pretty common to drive one way (i.e. from Arusha to the Serengeti with stops along the way) and fly back. I'm not certain if that's also the case in Kenya or not. I have been to both countries but flew between most locations.

Sandi is right, of course. Distance and travel time in Africa are two completely different things.
Jul 28th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Download the maps Kenya/Tanz/Uganda maps from this page http://tinyurl.com/66uotr
The price is 100 Rand- less then $15. You can then plan your safari on your pc at home.You can measure distances, find fuel stations, plus lots of other information. You'll need some software to open it on your pc. Just contact me for a link to a legal copy, for this use. Btw, you will also be able to get a couple updates on the map within the next year.
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Thanks DanaM - thanks for the link as that's the chart I was looking for. Knew it should have been in my "favorites" but apparently wasn't... will be now.

moondoggie - it's not at all unusual for visitors to do a combined drive/fly safari. Can fly to farthest distance and work your way back by road (or vice versa); fly only some segments, the rest is driving.

Jul 29th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I bookmarked it this time too. Thanks, Dana.

A few of the Kenya times stood out as a bit optimistic to me though:

Nakuru-Mara is more like 5+ depending on the location of your camp. It's about the same as coming from Nairobi.

Nairobi-Namanga took us about 3 but I suppose it's possible to make it in 2 depending on your speed.

Nairobi-Tsavo can really vary. Both East and West are huge, much larger than any of the other Kenyan parks, and it really depends on the location of your camp. While it's possible to make it to the nearest gates in 4+, you could potentially be looking at another hour or two or more to get to your camp.

And I agree that fly/drive combinations are common.