Search

Manyara or Tarangire?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manyara or Tarangire?

A quick poll...for those of you who have been to either Lake Manyara or Tarangire around March, and you had to choose to see only one, which would you pick? (we can only pick 1 based on time constraints). Thanks for your responses in advance!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM

It depends on what you want to see
If you want to see elephants and boabab trees go to tarangire
If your interest is spending 3 to 4 hours in a rain forest go to Lake Mnayara
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Interested in seeing a lot of animals and beautiful landscape. I'm not sure if many of the animals have already left Tarangire by March. I'm also not really into bird watching (which I think Manyara is known for that).....
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
sandi

Where will you be coming from or going to to make the decision for Manyara or Tarangire. It may come down to which doesn't have you backtracking.

Why not post your itinerary, days, location, accommodation and how getting to/from (which legs include a flight).

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

The following is my itinerary. Thanks alot for all of your input. It gets exciting when you are getting closer to leaving! I have thought about changing the 3 nights at Kusini for 2 nights there and 1 night elsewhere as well (to make sure that I get to see the migration easily from at least one location), but I think it is too late to switch that now. Just trying to decide whether I should spend that last night at Tarangire, drive around Tarangire, and then go to the airport OR keep the itinerary as is (stay at Lake Manyara, drive around Manyara the next morning, then head for the airport) OR is there enough time in one morning to see both Manyara and part of Tarångire?

1. March 5th: Arrive Kigali and go to PNV, staying at Gorillas Nest overnight
2. March 6th: Trek with gorillas and stay at Gorillas Nest
3. March 7th: Trek with gorillas and stay at Mille Collines
4. March 8th: See genocide memorial in Kigali and fly to Nairobi and then Kili Airport. Stay at Mountain Lodge in Arusha overnight (I don't get in until 7 or 8 pm)
5. March 9th: Go to Ngorongoro Crater, afternoon game drive, stay at Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
6. March 10th: Crater drive, rim walk, stay at Crater Lodge
7. March 11th-14th: Drive to Serengeti, Serengeti game drive, and ?3 nights at Kusini Camp
8. March 14th:Morning drive in serengeti; Drive to Lake Manyara and stay at Serena Lodge?
9. March 15th: Return to Kili airport
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

sorry, forgot to mention that it is the early part of the 15th that would include a game drive around either Tarangire or Manyara
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM

summertime01
you can visit lake manyara in the evening of the 14th and depending what time your flight is leaving from Kili depends whether you can visit Tarangire or not on the 15th.
If it is a late evening KLM flight then you can visit Tarangire easily on the 15th
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks geelong, that sounds like a reasonable idea!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:32 AM
aby

Hi summertime01

<i> &quot;Interested in seeing a lot of animals and beautiful landscape.&quot; </i>
my fellow posters forgot to mention the local migration in the Tarangire ecosystem: Tarangire has &quot;lots of animals&quot; between June to November;
unless you'd like to search for a different migration - some palaearctic (eurasian) birds still wintering in africa ...

aby
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:28 AM
sandi

Assume you have a day-room waiting for you in Arusha/Kili before your homebound flight?

Anyway, sure you can start early for drive to Tarangire, but the park just isn't at peak during March. Animals too widely dispersed. And, there's an additional park fee for you at Tarangire.

Instead, and though not game viewing you may want to do a cultural visit before leaving. Near Manyara is Mto-wa-Mbu, or once back in Arusha there is N'gresi Village. I believe these would be a more interesting options for concluding your trip.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your thoughts. It sounds like Tarangire isn't worth it at this time of year. On the day of departure maybe I'll do Manyara and then one of the villages. No, I don't have a day room. My plan is to maximize my time &quot;seeing&quot; things, and then fly out at 8 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:18 AM
aby

summertime01

I think Sandi's ideas r excellent !

&amp; u may consider Arusha NP as well,
(personally, i love the place)
search the forum for info, or we can brief u about it later

Bon voyage

aby