many questions about morocco

Oct 8th, 2000, 11:25 AM
texasgirl

many questions about morocco

hi, just beginning to plan an 8 or 9 day trip to Morocco in late december or early january. We must arrive and depart from casablanca, but i am much more interested in Fez and Marrakesh and plan to leave for one or the other immediately. Can we do both of those cities in that time frame? If not, which would you favor? Which day trips (from either city) do you recommend? We thought because of the short time frame we would fly between cities, but is the train a better experience? Any other personal favorites? We love food, architecture, art, and generally getting to experience a new place....Thanks very much for your help; I will drink many cups of mint tea in your honor...

Oct 9th, 2000, 05:54 AM
dave

hi

Are you prepared for Morrocco? It's a tough country and you must be mentally prepared. I've travelled the world but Morrocco seems to be the worst in terms of getting hussled on the street. You will have no peace and quiet and everyone will want to be your GUIDE. they take no for an answer and follow you all day. My advice, ignor them or hire one for what it's worth to get everyone else off your back.

You can do all those place within your time frame. no need to take planes.
Casablanca is boring. Fez is ok but not spectacular. It's just lots of markets (souks) but all cities have them. the Tannery reeks. If you don't have a strong stomach you will definitely puke.
Marrekesh is by the far the best place. The central El Far....??? is the best place at sunset to evening. Lots of things to do and lots interesting acts and story telling going on. But beware, once you take a photo you must pay. So either use a telephoto lens or prepare to pay. Nothing is without hassle in Morrocco. I personally found it mysterious but my girlfriend hated it and we left Morrocco early. People will steal your food while eating in the markets. Just be careful and have fun.

If you have any questions, you can e mail me or check out my web site.

http://members.xoom.com/namabeer/

dave

Oct 9th, 2000, 04:40 PM
g potvin

I think Dave overstates the situation a little. I took my family to Morocco in July and found it enchanting, but with a lot of hustle. Marrakech is intriguing,particularly the central square, Jemma El Fna. Get some good guide books and study.

If you go to the Morrocco part of this forum and look at my post "Morrocan Afterthoughts" it will help you understand.

We came across fromSpain by ferry and rode the night train to Marrakech. The trains are very primitive, but also very cheap. It took 8-10 hours to travel from Tangier to Marrakech, via Casablanca.

There is also a hosted forum on Morocco from late May or early June. Lots of great information there too.

God luck!

Oct 10th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Clif

I just returned from a two week trip in Morocco(09/21 - 10/05) I went from Marrakech across the High Atlas to the Sahara, north to Fez and Chefchouen, then to Essouira and Safi on the Atlantic coast. Pardon the spelling of some of the cities. We found it fascinating. I agree with the last posting. There is a little bit of hassle, but certainly nothing threatening. We found most people very friendly and met a lot of very nice people. We liked Marrakech much more than Fes. E-mail me if you have questions.

Oct 10th, 2000, 02:54 PM
Mary

We have been to Morocco twice. The first time we spent all our time in Marrakesh. It is a wonderful city. The second time we were supposed to see more of Morocco but unfortunately my husband had pneumonia and a heart attack in Fez. He is fine now. Be sure you have insurance that covers you overseas and will provide transportation home. My husband spent 2 weeks in a Clinic (Private) in Fez. It was primitive by American standards. The MD.s were trained in France, but no one spoke English--only French and Arabic. Obviously, we survived. We have been to Greece, Turkey, Germany and many other countries since then, but we always take the extra travel insurance.

Oct 11th, 2000, 04:22 AM
texasgirl

thanks for all your advice and warnings. i'll certainly look up that hosted forum. right now we're thinking of three days in marrakesh, a couple of day trips from there, and two days in fez. dave and clif, i'll email you when i get some more specific questions about hotels, trains, etc..... i am traveling with my boyfriend and we are not backpackers anymore (in our late 30s) but not package tourists or luxury hotel people either so i will definitely be looking for suggestions! thanks again!

Oct 11th, 2000, 01:00 PM
Paul

More questions about Morocco!
I'm thinking of a trip to Morocco in May, visiting Rabat, Fes and Casablanca. What's the state of the rental car industry? I would like to stay in Rabat and take day trips to the other cities. Do you need a visa added to your passport? Are shots recommended?

Oct 16th, 2000, 09:40 AM
jerry

My wife and I just returned (10/14) from a trip to Morocco and had a wonderful time. Marrakech was the most fascinating city we have encountered in our travels. One piece of advice, if you want to keep the hustlers away from you, hire a government approved guide. They will not only keep the hawkers away but can provide you with a fascinating history of everything you see. They are inexpensive, and easy to find (almost any hotel can set you up). If you have any questions fell free to e-mail me.

Oct 18th, 2000, 02:40 AM
karen

Paul: We rented a car in Marrakesh. Most of the major rental companies were represented, and we had no difficulty. Price, if I recall, was about $70 per day. We used the car to drive over the Altas mountains to the edge of the Sahara - just beautiful! The roads were decent and our map was easy to follow - the roads were well sign-posted. We did travel by train, as well, though, which was very comfortable, and probably more convenient on your proposed itinerary. Skip Casablanca as much as possible - there is just nothing to do/see there, other than the new and very impressive mosque. Enjoy!

Oct 31st, 2000, 08:37 PM
comicman

hi , i think the last poster paid way to much for his car. i have paid as little as 25.00 including ins.
granted i had to haggle a lot to get
the price.
i work a lot in morocco and spain
any questions email me.

Feb 6th, 2001, 10:33 AM
marrakesh

to the top

Search this Thread