Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Managing Digital Photos (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/managing-digital-photos-595591/)

Pathfinder Mar 1st, 2006 10:10 PM

Managing Digital Photos

We're going on a safari in Tanzania and plan to take lots of pictures! How do we recharge our batteries and down load photos from the camera out in the bush? (We'll be camping).

Are there adapters you can use to plug a battery recharger in to a cigarette lighter? If so, are they different than what we have in the states?

What do you download your pictures on to? (I wouldn't be taken my laptop) Do you just bring a bunch of cf cards? What do you advise?

jasher Mar 2nd, 2006 02:28 AM

Hello,

Do a search for 'digital photo storage' on this forum and you'll find a number of threads on this topic. Your main options are taking a storage device like the Epson P-2000 or an iPod, or taking lots of CF cards.

Cheers,
Julian

martync Mar 2nd, 2006 03:49 AM

We'll be on Safari in Tan & Kenya in June and I'll be using both multiple cf cards and my video ipod with photo adaptor. With this I'll download pics to the ipod, be able to review them and of course also have music for the long flights. The Epson mentioned by jasher is probably better, but is more expensive.

cooncat Mar 2nd, 2006 05:10 AM

Pathfinder - You may want to check with your lodge/camp on what kind of set-up they have for charging batteries. It may vary from place to place! I'm taking CF cards and the Epson P2000. It was expensive, but can pretty easily be resold if you don't want to keep it.
Sharon

wjsonl Mar 2nd, 2006 05:39 AM

We'll also be staying in tents in June in the Serengeti. Rather than recharging batteries, downloading photos, etc, on my FZ5, I've opted to take the quick and easy way out: extra batteries (inexpensive generics that work fine) and extra SD cards (3 1GBs) rather than depending on local electricity and/or generators.

eezam Mar 2nd, 2006 05:49 AM

We stayed in lodges in November and used the 'shaver' outlet to recharge a lithium battery. It worked fine with an adapter.

bat Mar 2nd, 2006 06:00 AM

We took extra batteries, cards, an Epson P2000 and an inverter that I purchased at Circuit City for $60. [I'll look for the earlier thread on inverters and post the addresses for you.]

The inverter was a 400watt model that plugged into the car lighter outlet and had two U.S. outlets to plug appliances into. It also had an on-off switch that we used whenever our guide turned teh engine off because of concern that when you first start the motor you might get a surge (although it had some built in protection for surges). The particular model I purchased had two cables--one for the cigarette lighter and one to attach directly to the battery in case the cigarette lighter outlet did not work. The inverter worked great--used in on long drives for the Epson which has a long charging time (plus fearful of giving the Epson to camp staff at camps that had communal charging since it held all of our photos---not fear of theft, just fear that something would go wrong).

Write to your operator to make sure that your vehicle's cig lighter outlet works. Also, some tent camps have generators to re-charge.

stakerk Mar 2nd, 2006 09:25 AM

We are going to try an Apacer CP-300 portable DVD writer. Costs less than Epson and can make multiple DVD copies so do not have to worry about Epson screwing up or being stolen or lost.

Kevin