Mana Canoe & Walking Trail

Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Mana Canoe & Walking Trail

Has anyone done the Mana Canoe & Walking Trail in Zimbabwe?
Nov 24th, 2004, 03:06 AM

No - never heard of it though have visited Mana Pools twice and was under the impression that it was off the radar of companies offering organised tours. It is a beautiful place.

Things must have changed. Please advise what is "Mana Canoe and Walking Trail tour". Would love to know.
Nov 24th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Mana Pools off the radar?

Nope. Instead the area is FULL of luxury lodges...Chikwenya (Wilderness Safaris), Ruckomechi (Wilderness Safaris but recently closed likely to reopen again) and then just opposite on the Zambian side in Lower Zambezi there are too many luxury lodges to count:

Sausage Tree Camp, Chiawa, Mwambashi, Royal Zambezi, Kulefu Tented Camp, Kasaka River Lodge, Ana's Tree Lodge, Chongwe River Lodge, plus a few more that cater only to those wishing to fish and canoe (no game drives). They may all be spread out by about 50 miles or so along the river, but this area is very in demand right now.

I was at Kulefu Tented Camp this year and will be headed to Kasaka River Lodge next September. Absolutely beautiful area, and at $285 per person sharing in high season, Kasaka is a tremendous bargain and a beautiful camp. www.kasakariverlodge.com

While at Kulefu this year, I twice went canoeing with the incomparable guide Morad, and we went through WALLS of hippos, saw more crocs than I can remember, saw terrapins diving into the water upon our approach, saw the most amazing birding anywhere, and every so often a duo or trio of waterbuck would sprint by in the small streams that ranoff the main Zambezi River.

I visited in June, so the majority of elephants had not yet come down from the more mountainous areas, but by September, they should be at the river and playing in the water daily. At that time, it is possible to canoe very closely to them for some amazing photographs and encounters.

I would not even consider Zambia or Zimbabwe without including Lower Zambezi/Mana Pools.
Nov 24th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Mana Canoe & Walking Trail is a 3 night canoe trip offered by Wilderness Safaris. You can read all about it on www.wilderness-safaris.com. It sounds wonderful from everything I've read. We'll be doing it in conjunction with several camps next Sept.

Search this Thread