man eaters on ofoto

Feb 13th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

man eaters on ofoto

Ok, I am trying something. I copied my tsavo west main page. Then I put it here. Kinda like a trip report. I am thinking it would be cool if you read this before you checked out the pics. The ofoto link is at the end. Hope it works out ok.
david

Home Of The: MAN-EATERS of TSAVO!

by safardreams - last update: Feb 13, 2005

1898, The MAN-EATERS Lived, Killed & Ate Here!

Send Picture as a PostCard.

At The Man-Eaters Caves

Do you know the movie:
THE GHOST and THE DARKNESS? That movie was based on this event!
When the "LUNATIC LINE". The nick-name of the rail road. That was being bulit in 1898. Then two HUGE MALE MANELESS LIONS went on a RAMPAGE! KILLING, DRAGGING, EATING the rail workers. Were they HUNGRY, SICK or just TICKED OFF! My other visits to TSAVO. I had no idea it was possible to visit the MAN-EATERS home. But this time I asked my RANGER friend Joyce. Who at the time was stationed at VOI, TSAVO EAST. About checking this out! With her help, I was able to set up a walk to the LION CAVE. The CAVE as it turns out. Is located in TSAVO WEST. I was camping in TSAVO EAST. It is only about a 20min ride up MOMBASA HIGH WAY. There, my second KWS RANGER was waiting for us. My MASAI driver dropped us off some ways up the road from the GATE. He was told to go back there! So, with my friend: QURI & new friend MARTIN. We walked a good pace for about an hour. Through the TSAVO BUSH & THORNS! Talk about the: "THE WAIT A MINUTE BUSH!" I got hung up a few times!
It was very HOT and very EXCITING! Walking with two ARMED KWS RANGERS. MARTIN had a: AK-47.
You could tell, even with a visitor. They were HOANING their SKILLS. These guys have to HUNT & KILL POACHERS!
As we got closer, MARTIN. Who spoke English Quite well. Started the MAN -EATERS STORY! Very COOL! We stayed for about an hour. There were also BATS flying in and out of the cave. My first time seeing those!
Then we had another good hike back. We called my driver. He met us at the pick up point.
When you go to TSAVO. Ask about this. You hire two RANGERS for about $15.00US PER RANGER. You need to take two RANGERS. THATS THE RULES! It is worth it! I felt I saw History. Felt I was part of HISTORY! Also have some good VIDEO of this.
THANKS KWS. THANKS : QURI & MARTIN!
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=zhfie7a...&x=0&y=-4kw3b3
Send Picture as a PostCard.

No Man-Eaters Here Now!
No MAN-EATERS Here!

The BACK n WHITE ,and the COLOR photos I have of all this. Look the same as the PHOTOS at the Field Museum, in Chicago. They were forgotten in the early 1900,s. Then they were found again in 1997 I think. Because of that Museum's web site. I asked about visiting this place. YOU CAN TOO! We climed on top of the ROCKS. Scanned the area. That is the same FIG TREE from over 100yrs ago! Martin was so HAPPY to share this with a client. As it turns. I was the first visitor to go and see this place!
I think I will give the MAN-EATERS a T-L!
Here is the link to the Field Museum's MAN-EATERS! There are 4 things to click on. You can't miss them. ENJOY and COMPARE.
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/...vo/default.htm
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=zhfie7a...&x=0&y=-4kw3b3
Feb 13th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Dave- Thank you! Those were really super! I liked the museum site too. Those two male lions were the ugliest lions I've seen. Looked like huge yellow dogs. Imagine one of those coming after you. That cave looked like the spookiest place. I wouldn't go into unless I was dragged in. Imagine some of the bones may still be in there. The museum site showed some scientists in there. Thanks and I'll bet that was the highlight for you to see. Liz
Feb 13th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

hi liz, those ugly lions. As you may have read in the museum site. There was not much left of the lions to do the work on them. But they were very huge!
Highlight? wow, can't say. The whole trip was awesome. I am trying to set up a special walk in tsavo east for June. I hope they take my request.Will let you know.
thanks, david
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM

I was saying that I'll bet the Maneaters of Tsavo was THE highlight of that trip. Not that I want to go there. It was a nice report. Liz
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

liz, I guess I meant. I can't pick a highlight. My whole trip was really something. Even that part, it's hard to put first. i don't think they promote it much. i'll try and find out if they do. i just happen to ask about it. i hope more people do that walk.
cheers, david
Feb 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

hello liz, could you give me a re-cap on the places you visited there? i don't recall. just curious.
thanks, david
Feb 13th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

ok liz, incase you stop back in. i am going for the night. have a good one.
david
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:52 AM

David- It was years ago. I have been so many times that I get the years mixed up when I try to remember exactly as other trips I made are hard to sort out when I'm posting. This has been going on for 15 years.
However I visited Tsavo, Samburu, Amboseli, The highlands, Mara a number of times, and then we stopped at some smaller camps as we drove what seemed to be all over Kenya from park to park. Then I revisited some on return trips. When I went to Tsavo, I think it was Tsavo West and the grass was quite high because it was in May. Don't know what you want to know but I don't remember all of the camps by name. I will not be returning to Tsavo and probably this next trip to Tanzania will be the last to East Africa. My husband and I cruise more now as Africa is just too far and tiring for us after so many trips. Thanks for your interest but I feel I am boring people by going over this and I do like hearing about yours and the others trips because I can remember more as you folks go into greater detail. Liz
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

hi liz, was just wondering about your travels there. i had a feeling it was pretty good : )
so liz, how many times have you been there? i am working on my 5th trip. i hope i have many more.
i was i amboseli in 2001. then we had to spend a nt there this past sept.
liz, the ice-cap on mt. kili. is going fast. what a huge difference in those 3yrs. months visited was oct & sept.
so, that's not it. it will be very bad around there when it is all gone.
do you recal the ice-cap when you were there?
i really love tsavo. i want to walk through that park so bad!
i went to zimbabwe in oct 1999, kenya 2001, kenya 2002, so. tanz & kenya 2004.
this next one uganda & kenya in june.
at least you guys can still travel.
kudos to you both : )
see ya, david
Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM

I saw the movie Ghost and Darkness and I was really fascinated by the beauty of Africa, that's why I am going to Tsavo this September.
Jul 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

hi bijindesu, the lions caves are in tsavo west. about a 30min ride from voi gate. if your interested. you can do a walk with 2 kws rangers to the caves. take about an hr from the road they drop you off at. if you want more info let me know.
bring a video cam.
which tsavo are you staying at? where ect?
it hardly rained at all in tsavo east this past rain season. so in sept, it will be very very dry.
ok keep in touch.
david

Search this Thread