Maleria dosage

Sep 30th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Maleria dosage

The forum opinions seem to most favor taking Malarone over doxycycline before a trip to Africa. No one, however, stated the dosage to take. My med plan shows 250-100 mg tabs. What does this mean? They show a 25 day supply for $30 and the generic atovaquone-proguanil HCT at $5 for 25 days. Also, 62.5-25mg Malarone for $50 for 30 tabs. Do you take one per day with meals? Is it still necessary to take this if one slathers on DEET???

Thoughts please!

JH
Sep 30th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Should be discussed with your doctor, but for your info:
The Adult dosage is 250/100 - 250mg/atovaquone-100/proguanil.
The lower dosage is the pediatric, which is weight dependent of the child.

The price you indicate is excellent.

The protocol for taking is with food, dairy preferred, thus recommended in the mornings when milk, cheese, yougurt are available. Some though do take with evening meal.

You start taking tabs daily from 2/days prior (before leaving home) entering malaria area, daily while in-country, then for 7/days upon leaving area.

Regarding: malaria meds vs repellent... No, No... even with repellent, no guarantee you won't be bitten.
Sep 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Sandi is absolutely right - dosages should be discussed with your doctor. I took my malarone before bed with a bit of food so I could sleep thru any tummy upset altho doubt I had any.

I used DEET and covered up as best I could at dusk and dawn but was still covered in bites.
Sep 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the qualification Sandi. Besides this and Yellow fevor shot what other shots /meds does one generaslly have to take before going to Africa, namely Kenya and Tanzania?? This, to me, is the biggest bummer/downside of the trip. I don't like taking meds of this type.

JH

Search this Thread