Looking for out of the way places

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Israel next week and would like to find some out of the way places to visit or experience. We will be there for a little more than two weeks, but that also includes an overnight in Petra. Also, am looking for recommendations for a guide and for restaurants. We will be in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Thanks so much
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 07:23 PM

If this is your first trip and it includes Petra than you have plenty of NOT out of the way places that should first be visited. What have you planned already. If you share we can say what is a must see that you are missing!
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

I was in Israel more than 30 years ago. We are spending five nights in Tel Aviv, 6 nights in Jerusalem, one night in Eilat, another in Petra and then one night in the Dead Sea. We intend to see all the major areas in Jerusalem and take a day trip from Tel Aviv to Akko. In the desert we will go to Masada and in Tel Aviv, I am planning to go to Jaffa, the diaspora museum, and do lots of walking. Please let me know your thoughts and we need restaurant recommendations. thank you
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 09:28 PM

What about the Galilee ? You should do 3 nights Tel-Aviv, 5 nights Jerusalem, 3 nights Galilee.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 03:34 AM

What part of Jerusalem do you need restaurant recs for? If you go to Petra overnight, why not add days to include Wadi Rum or Jaresh?
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 08:12 AM

The Israel of today is NOT the Israel of 30 years ago. I suggest you plan this trip as if you were a first time visitor.
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 12:34 PM

That's a long haul from Petra to Jerash! And then a return to Eilat for return into Israel.
But, I too believe you should consider 2/days for Petra as by the time you arrive from Eilat, most of that day is gone.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 03:42 AM

Hi sandi,
In our case(3 days), we left Eilat and saw Petra first day, overnight Bedouin camp, on the Kings Hwy by 7, Jarash by 10, Madaba & Mt Nebo by 5 and back in our Petra hotel by 8, Wadi Rum the following day with a dropoff in Eilat by sunset.

I would agree Petra to Jerash and back to Eilat is undoable for a 2 day trip, but one could do a Petra to Jarash 2nd day then overnight Al Aqaba, cross the border to Eilat following morn and catch plane to Tel Aviv or bus to Jerusalem.

(imo) Jerash is a MUST see and worth thr extra travel time if seeing Petra
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 08:55 AM

We had 2.5/days. Having flown Royal Jordanian Air to Cairo they had a 2/day layover package including hotel, Petra, sightseeing in Amman. Price was so reasonable we couldn't say no. First day from AMM to Petra and not back in AMM till dark. My bed was so welcoming. Next day around AMM and, of course, up to Jerash which of the many ABRs (another bloody ruin) I had viewed on recent trips prior and after Egypt, was a beauty.

But for the OP to visit more than Petra only, when even this 1/day will be from dawn to dusk, to add anything else gotta add more time in Jordan.