Malawi

Feb 7th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Penelope

Malawi

I am interested in visiting Liwonde National Park in southern Malawi, but I get mixed signals from the brand new Lonely Planet guide. Does anybody know anything about the area? Considering the many good safari sites in Tanzania and Zimbabwe,should I skip Malawi?

Feb 27th, 2001, 03:57 AM
jennifer

No. Don't skip Malawi. Liwonde is a great park, the river cruise to get there is different. However, it is not your absolutely classic big five destination. If you feel the need to tick off the big five, go somewhere else. If you are into birds, some big game (elephants, lions, etc,) lots of smaller game, wall to wall hippos etc and loads of space and privacy, and amazing views. The birding is absolutely superb. Also - if you are looking for a good safari destination, South Luangwa, in Zambia is one of the best. It is easily reached from Lilongwe in Malawi, and these two parks make a good combination. Very different scenery etc. You will still be missing out on rhino, which you can see in Zim (becoming a bit less fashionable with the new political developments, but still probably safe), Namibia, Swaziland or South Africa. (SA and Swaziland are crawling with rhino)

And the lake is wonderful, so is Nyika Plateau (in Malawi).

cheers

have fun

Feb 27th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Penelope

Jennifer: Thank you for that reply. I had about given up on a response. P

Apr 16th, 2001, 03:48 PM
kristin

I wouldn't miss out on Malawi! It's a wonderful place. Jennifer's advice is excellent. Don't be intimidated by the (overpriced!) Mvuu Camp. There is also Kudyu Discovery Lodge, on the bank of the Shire River. The hippos really do come up onto the lawn at night and it is amazing! The river cruise is also very nice. There is also a government-run lodge within the camp. It is more like an old ex-pat house but very quaint and cheap. The caretaker will cook for you but you must take your own food. I stayed here years ago and haven't heard much since. This was possibly intentional, so people didn't find out there was an affordable alternative to Mvuu within the park or possibly because it closed when Mvuu opened and was taken over by Wilderness Safaris. Anyway, I did not find Mvuu welcoming at all but have heard pretty good things from anyone who can afford to stay there. You might want to chedk out Mwaya Beach Lodge on the northern lakeshore: www.africaguide.com/mwaya
Enjoy.

Search this Thread