Malarone - over the counter in UK?

Nov 11th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Malarone - over the counter in UK?

I read something in our travel docs that seemed to indicate that malarone or other anti-malaria drugs may be obtained in the UK w/o a scrip and may be less expensive to obtain there? Can anyone verify or debunk?
Nov 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM

I don't think that's the case, but try searching on the Kenya forum over at Tripadvisor. The majority of the posters there are from the UK and if I recall correctly from previous discussions, you do need a scrip and Malarone runs a little over 2 GBP per tablet which is about the same cost as in the US. Perhaps other anti-malarials are less expensive there.
Nov 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I believe there are some large travel clinics that dispense Malarone to patients who are not existing customers... I would google for them and call and check.
Nov 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM

There are 2 ways to get it.

1. Through someone like the BA travel shop who will charge about 6 GBP PER TABLET!

2. My UK GP had to give me the prescription. The price varies from pharmacy to pharmacy as well. The cheapest I found it was at the SuperDrug chain of pharmacies where it cost me 2.25 GBP per tablet.

Search this Thread