Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   malaria prophylaxis for south africa? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/malaria-prophylaxis-for-south-africa-383455/)

liustephen Jun 22nd, 2008 09:10 PM

malaria prophylaxis for south africa?

hi,
will be in south africa mid-july to early august.

it's mid-winter, and low mosquito season... and statistically low malaria season as well.

will be in johannesburg, cape town, some days in kruger, and whatever other places in between.

would folks recommend malaria prophlaxis with meds? (vs good bug repellant, long sleeve clothing, etc)?

thanks!

HariS Jun 22nd, 2008 09:41 PM

Best to check with your doctor!

sniktawk Jun 23rd, 2008 12:52 AM

Sound advice Hari!!!
I think you should be told that not much of SA is a risk area, apart perhaps from Kruger.

divine54 Jun 23rd, 2008 01:58 AM

asking a doctor would be good but won't substitute your own decision as to use common sense.

i know some of the fodorites prefer to swallow malaria prophylaxis in ANY case but i personally don't especially if the risk is low key.

i'd rather use insect repellent, wear long sleeves and pants and take only a stand by med (malarone for example).

as snit already pointed out: only krueger is a declared malaria area but not 365 days/year and not heavily infested.

regarding the season:
be aware that's getting really cold at night and in early mornings especially for game drives. so prepare the onion-layer clothing incl. gloves, scarf and heat.

happy planning!

sandi Jun 23rd, 2008 05:48 AM

Of course, discuss with your doc, but even in dry or cold season when it's tempting NOT to take malaria meds, all you need is one mossie (female at that) and you can be in big trouble. Malaria isn't a nice disease!

I was in East Africa recently - in Nairobi gong into winter, high altitude and cool to cold between dusk/dawn, and is considered a place where malaria meds are not needed... this was the only place I got bitten (twice, in fact). I was taking Malarone, so hopefully should be okay!

Get the information and then decide.

divine54 Jun 23rd, 2008 06:25 AM

sandi,
first - it must be an anopheles
second - a female
third - carrying the desease and
finally - resistant to malarone
then you are at risk ;-)

best is to ask a doctor who is not just interested in giving precription "to be on the safe" side but also in the position to deliberate benefit against risk in view to krueger!

sandi Jun 23rd, 2008 01:16 PM

divine

I'm much aware of the who & what, etc., but no harm in reminding future visitors. Though wonder how one know it's "a girl?" :)

... just an example that even where mossies are least expected, a bite is possible.

eyelaser Jun 23rd, 2008 04:33 PM

Sandi the "girl" mossies make no noise, no joke. So the one's you hear are not the one's to worry about!
Regards,
Eric

Back2Sabi Jun 23rd, 2008 05:28 PM

Hmm... this may be a bit indelicate, but you may want to seriously consider malarone if you are a woman who may be considering having children in the next few years. Getting malaria can *seriously* hinder those plans. The side effects to malarone are nothing compared to the consequences of getting it if those are your plans.

sandi Jun 24th, 2008 03:40 AM

Eric -

Leave it to the gal to sneak up on you unheard :)

ruthtraveler Jun 24th, 2008 12:51 PM

Check the CDC website for which kinds of anti-malarials are recommended for South Africa, and for their other health recommendations. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinati...ca.aspx#safety. (Some anti-malarials do not work in some countries.) Once (or if) you decide on a drug, you must start it before you go. Malarone seems to be generally preferred by most travelers - it is supposed to have fewer side effects and, although more expensive per day than older drugs, is reasonably affordable for trips of only a few weeks. Anti-malarials can decrease the efficacy of typhoid vaccine if taken at the same time, so if you get the typhoid vaccine (see the thread on that), get it at least 4 weeks before starting anti-malarials.

skibumette Jun 24th, 2008 05:56 PM

Re: antimalarials and typhoid vaccine. This is an issue only with the oral typhoid (not the injection). You need a 10-day gap between the last oral typhoid capsule and starting Malarone...but only three days between the last oral typhoid capsule and starting Doxycylcine.

AfricanOracle Jun 26th, 2008 10:42 PM

Here's what I know about the subject,maybe it will be useful in answering your question.
The first thing anyone should do before traveling to an area where they might be exposed to malaria, is visit their GP, practice nurse, pharmacist or travel clinic to discuss your antimalarial and vaccination requirements. (its best that this be done at least eight weeks before you travel).The traveler should make sure they have a clear itinerary of their trip as they may only need antimalarials for part of the journey.Various antimalarials are recommended for different parts of the world, because in some areas the parasite has become resistant to older drugs. Additionally there are a number of antimalarials and not all of them work the same for all of us. Your health-care professional will advise on the most suitable medication for you and your journey.While you are traveling, there will be plenty of things to do and see and enjoy, but always remember to follow your health care advice if you are in a country which has a risk of yo catching malaria.
The first thing to do is to reduce your chances of being bitten. Follow your doctor's advice and buy the recommended antimalarial medication, mosquito netting and insect repellent. Insect repellents should ideally contain up to 50% DEET and be applied to any exposed skin, always after using a sunblock. It can also be sprayed onto cotton clothing for added protection. Your arms, legs and feet should be kept covered and less time outdoors should be spent when mosquitoes are at their most active, especially between dusk and dawn. Sleeping under a mosquito net impregnated with permethrin should provide you with excellent protection. Have a great time and enjoy yourself but remain malaria aware. People often contract malaria because they start to get distracted, and forget to take necessary precautions during their travels. If you have been prescribed antimalarials, it is very important take them as directed throughout the whole course. One should continuously try to avoid mosquito bites, as it only takes one bite to contract malaria.When you get back from your travels, do not get lazy about following your travel health advice; this is because the malaria parasite can stay in your body and carry on rapidly reproducing potentially leaving you exposed to malaria. This is why it is essential to complete your course of antimalarials to get full protection. Keep taking them when you get home as you have been prescribed.The first signs of malaria can often be mild, hard to spot and can be easily confused with flu. If you develop flu like symptoms once you return home, (particularly in the first three months, but as far as up to a year later), seek medical advice immediately and tell them that you've recently returned from a malaria-risk zone. This will enable a speedy diagnosis and could potentially save your life.Enjoy the trip, and be sure to check out the garden route when you are in the Cape

divine54 Jun 27th, 2008 04:20 PM

regarding doxycycline:
be careful if you are a blonde/blue eyed individual you might react to it: your skin gets extremly sensitive to sunrays!
i took it once - without consulting a doctor bought it in namibia at a drugstore - and i had to walk the kalahari with an umbrella! sunyray were hurting like knifes.......

skimmer Jun 28th, 2008 02:45 AM

Definitely yes, if you want to sponsor the big pharmaceuticals. If you get people scared, you can sell them everything. Remember the bird flu ...

On a serious note, I wouldn't do given the time of year/places you are visiting.

Also this medication doesn't stop you from getting malaria anyway ...

Johan

divine54 Jun 28th, 2008 05:38 AM

skimmer
and yes not only a few get "incentives" from pharma multis for prescribing anti-mal drugs.
but obviously there is quite a number of people who love to leave it with the doctors in order to play safe instead of using common sense.