Malaria Pills/Drinking Water--South Africa

May 23rd, 1999, 03:36 PM
austin taylor

Malaria Pills/Drinking Water--South Africa

I'm traveling to South Africa--Pretoria and Capetown in July. Want to know whether malaria medication is really necessary at that time of the year (winter for S.Africa).
Also would like to know if it is okay to drink the water.

May 25th, 1999, 07:37 AM
Marion Mathews

Most of SA is not a malaria zone - the danger areas are at the Botswana/Zimbabwe borders and Pretoria is not really far north enough to be a problem.
The water in SA out of the taps is absolutely fine to drink (I grew up in Cape Town!).
If you are planning to be anywhere off the beaten track, I would check. Also, be careful about drinking or swimming in water that is stagnant or near informal settlements since it is likely to be contaminated.

May 25th, 1999, 07:38 AM
Marion Mathews

Most of SA is not a malaria zone - the danger areas are at the Botswana/Zimbabwe borders and Pretoria is not really far north enough to be a problem.
The water in SA out of the taps is absolutely fine to drink (I grew up in Cape Town!).
If you are planning to be anywhere off the beaten track, I would check. Also, be careful about drinking or swimming in water that is stagnant or near informal settlements since it is likely to be contaminated.

Jun 2nd, 1999, 07:09 AM
Omar Essack

Hi Austin,

South African cities are completely free of Malaria, and our game reserves relatively safe in Winter, when you are travelling.
I'm from Durban, which is like being in Florida/Miami in Winter with warm beach weather. You should consider a diversion to our city while you're down.
Incidentally, I'll be in your country when you're visiting ours. I'm sure we'll both have a great time.

Omar

Search this Thread