Malaria medication - which one?

May 15th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Judy

Malaria medication - which one?

My husband and I are traveling to Kenya and Tanzania in about 3 weeks. We are going to start malaria meds soon. We got all necessary shots and have lariam pills for malaria. Since getting prescription filled, I have read bad reports about this medication. Does anyone have any experience with this medication to relate to me. The clinic gave me this medication and said there was little chance of side effects. Any input would be appreciated as I am soon to start taking this medication. I guess I am a little nervous about it. Thanks alot for any help!! We are looking forward to a wonderful trip.

May 15th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Lisa

We've never had a problem. but that is not to say the others have had our experience.

May 15th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Patricia

Don't know why they said no side effects for larium. There are MANY. However, my friend and I just returned from Kenya and she took larium (I couldn't because of a slight irregular heartbeat) and had not one problem with it. Most don't, I think. I took Malarone--the newest malaria drug that has less side effects. It also lists many, but less drastic, side effects. I had no problem either. I wouldn't worry that much. You just have to remember to take it the same day each week. Mine was every day for a shorter time.

Also, our Select Blue (Blue Cross) HMO paid for both, except for the usual deductible.

Have fun! We loved our trip! Are you going to Masai Mara? We spent most of our time there.

May 15th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Thyra

Actually, many people in the US are prescribed Larium, however, this medication is loosing popularity in Europe due to it's potential for serious side effects that can include some pretty nasty things like permanent paralysis and psychotic episodes, though many people take larium without having those side effects, the severity of them, scared off my husband and myself, and we opted for malarone. I would definately do a search online for information about Larium and their side effects to be sure that you are taking exactly what you want to be taking. We were very happy with the Malarone, whos only drawback is it's price, (we lucked out and insurance did cover the price) we had no bad side effects at all. Seriously, though a great many people take larium without problems, I personally know 3 people who had to stop taking it due to the depression, lack of sleep and severity of hallucinations they experienced. best of luck whatever you decide!

Search this Thread