Malaria in S.A.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Fernando

Malaria in S.A.

I will arrive at South Africa 4 September and will be in zone of malaria during 7-8 day (P.Kruger, Swaziland, P.Mlilwane, St. Lucia). I lodge in Bungalows. As I go in winter(few mosquitos) and I am few days compensates to me to take the anti-malaria tablets.
Thank you.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:18 PM
Karen

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. If you are wondering about anti malaria medicine in malaria country, my answer would be that it is better to be safe than sorry and the cost is very small compared to the misery of malaria. My father got it during the war and suffered with recurances every year till he died. A few years ago, a Canadian tourist died of malaria because he was treated with medicines that are no longer used and after the fact. September is more like spring than winter here. Like I said - Better to be safe than sorry. Get the medicine and take it.

Jul 18th, 2002, 05:17 PM
beth

just got back last week. i was in a malaria-prevalent area. honestly, i saw more leopards than mosquitos! my husband and i were laughing when we saw a mosquito- we only saw ONE mosquito the entire time (it was winter) i still recommend taking the anti-malaria pills ( i took larium, without any side-effects, my husband had "vivid dreams") and use repellant, as well.

Search this Thread