Malaria in Kenya

Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Malaria in Kenya

I am going to Nakuru, Kenya, leaving Aug 4. I will be travelling with a large team of 24. I am 1 of 3 nurses on the team. This will be my 6th trip to Kenya. My question is: Can Malarone pills be purchased OTC
in Nairobi? If so, is cost less than in the states? Have always taken doxycycline previous, but would try Malarone, if not too expensive. We will have 1 1/2 days in Nairobi before heading to Nakuru, so enough time for pre-treatment, as 1 to 2 days recommended. Please let me know if you have had success with the purchase of Malarone in Nairobi. Thanks!
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:09 AM
sandi

Check with whomever is arranging your trip whether Malarone is available for purchase in NBO. If so, price --- and whether you can bring a foreign script (doubt it) or have to go to local physician for script?

If not sure, buy what you need at home and don't knock yourself out trying to find a physician if you need local script and a pharmacy to fill.

Jul 24th, 2005, 07:48 AM

sanman:

I agree wholeheartedly with Sandi. Please get it at home before you leave. Even if you were able to get a prescription for it you might well get one of the cheap generics they get from India that wouldn't be adequate at all for what you need. It is not worth taking a chance on.

Jan
Aug 6th, 2005, 07:49 PM
toughpixel

yes, get it before you go. try an online canadian pharmacy if you are hestitating because of the costs in the US.

Search this Thread