Malaria

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Lowell

Malaria

I agree that Latiam has gotten unecessary publicity. Alaways the bizarre gets the headlines. My wife and took Lariam without any side effects. It is easier to take as it require fewer pills. On a holiday one shouldn't be concerned about the daily intake
of a tablet.

Nov 8th, 2002, 07:06 AM
x

Lariam is a snap - 7 pills and you're finished. Always on a full tummy however. The Ft. Bragg story was overblwon - two of the four soldier who were charged with murder never took Lariam.

Nov 8th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Lowell,

I will not say whether you are right or wrong in your assumptions about Larium. What I will tell you is that I think it is a case of horses for courses in that I have seen too many situations where someone gets delusional when taking the drug. Then again I have seen many succeed with the drug. What I will tell you is that I have never had a visitor of mine suffer in any way when they took Doxycyclin. Now thats a 100% record whereby Larium falters every now at the post. My response is back a winner like Doxycyclin; why take chances simply because you have to take less tablets in an easier fashion??

Selwyn Davidowitz

Nov 8th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Karen

There is a site I refer my visitors to that has a lot of useful info on malaria. It is http://www.cdc.gov/travel/malariadrugs.htm
It is aimed at Americans and Canadians though I am sure it's information has no borders. I personally have never heard of Lariam and like Selwyn I prefer the tried and true Doxycyclin or mefloquine. If you have ever seen the effects of malaria, you would too. It is one mean disease and it's symptoms can recur.

Nov 8th, 2002, 12:17 PM
x

Lots and lots of opinions here. Lariam is the drug of choice of many major HMOs, etc. in the US, and as with many drugs, there are potential side effects. You need to go with whatever your dcotrs recommends and your health service offers. Do no get the impression Larian is angerous for you. Lariam offers an advantage - one tablet one time each week starting one week before you enter the area, and for four weeks after you depart the area. As with many drugs, you must take it on a full tummy. We have finicky stomachs - and never a problem, No sleep or dream problems either. The real issue is this - if you are going to be in an affected area, you must take the med.

Nov 8th, 2002, 02:49 PM
luka

Karen needs to know that Lariam and mefloquine are the same drug. One is the generic name and one the brand name.

Nov 14th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Karen

Thank you luka I have never heard it called Lariam before - learn something new everyday. Fact is, there are people who have bad reactions to good things - like penicillin, peanuts and oysters. Does any one know if there is a tolerance test for these drugs? Would save some folks a lot of grief if there is. Point is - malaria is nasty and deadly and for the vast majority, the side effects of either of these two drugs are a lot easier to deal with than malaria.

Nov 14th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Thyra

My husband and I took Malarone, which surprisingly was paid for by our HMO. My husband makes his living as a guitarist and even the remotest chance of paralysis.. made it worth our while to take Malarone. Though people in our party took Larium with no side effects. Malarone is much better in terms of side effects, it's biggest draw back, according to my research is the price.

Nov 15th, 2002, 02:57 PM
xxx

Be warned: I took Lariam without difficulties during a 3 week trip to Botswana and then during a 2 week trip to Thailand and Cambodia the next year. I, too, thought that the press on Lariam was all hype (or perhaps brought on by jet lag and too much alcohol). However, this time my first dose, which I took at home a week before our trip, put me in a real state. I was wide awake all night in a terrible panic that my husband was going to die, etc. VERY STRANGE. I do not have a history of any mental problems (and have never had a panic attack before) and once I discontinued taking Lariam I got better. Part of the problem could be that I am a relatively small woman (110 lbs) and the drug may have more of an affect on smaller individuals. In any case, next time I'm taking Malarone!

Search this Thread