Mala Mala in March

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mala Mala in March

I was thinking that this would be an ideal time for me to breakaway from work to Mala Mala and I remember looking at Kaye's photos from last March that were fantastic, but after reading this weather/rain chart I
am having second thoughts:

http://www.malamala.com/weather.htm

It shows rainfall 31 days average over the past 3 years. Can anyone elaborate on the rain from their experiences during this time of year? Thanks <)
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 01:14 AM
sniktawk

The western side of South Africa has Summer rainfall. It is highly likely that you will get some rain in March, but the way the weather works nowadays this is not a guarantee. You should still see plenty and of course the rates at this time of year are lower because of the probability of rain. It will of course hopefully be very green.

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 03:37 AM

South Africas West coast is void of rainfall in the summer. It is most definitely a winter rainfall region.

The Eastern and particular the north eastern provinces lie in a sub tropical weather zone, which is typified by summer rainfall.

Most summers the rain is intermitent falling every 10th day as a later afternoon shower, however when a cuclone stalls off the Mozambiquen coast constant rain will be experienced. Cyclones occure from February through April.

If you fear the rain, then I would suggest that you look at upgrading from mala mala to Mateya in the Madikwe as there is a lower probability of rainfall there at that time of year.

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 04:38 AM

CarlaM,

March is the end of the summer at Mala Mala. It's the beginning of Autumn so there will be odd shower or two but not as consistent as in January and February. March is a good time to go because rains are coming to an end and the bush and animals are in perfect condition.

You will enjoy your stay.

Kind Regards,

KL
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 05:29 AM
sniktawk

I sometimes wonder why I bother. If it does not rain in the SA Summer then why does Mala Mala say it does.

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:09 AM
sniktawk

Oops just realised my original post said West rather than East!
Silly me, I should know better as I live in the West!

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:19 AM

Hi CarlaM

I was there in March of this year and of course, had fantastic gameviewing. We did have one or two nights heavy rain, and for the first time, I missed one morning gamedrive due to the weather. But the weather is never even a consideration when I go to South Africa, and it has to be exceptionally heavy rain for me not to go gameviewing, and in the time I have spent at MalaMala, that has been one morning!

I go every year to MalaMala in December and January, and we always get rain, so to say it is void of rain, is incorrect. They have summer storms typical of what I get home in rain and it is certainly in Nov/Dec that the Sand River really flows again, not all from local rain, but certainly from the catchment area. So when I am there in December and January, we also have the odd shower during the day, but a lot of the rain occurs during the night, and in the form of summer storms, which is why they are summer storms as they happen in the summer months. So Carla, do not worry about the rain or the upgrade!!!

To sniktawk

MalaMala says it rains in the summer months, because that is when it rains at MalaMala. In my winter visits, I rarely get wet, while in summer I can be in rain gear what seems every other day!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kaye. My last trip was during the green season (Nov-Botswana) and we had rain so I want to avoid that this trip. You had to wear rain gear at MM every other day in March? If I went in the beginning of April would that be better? Is is still warm enough to use the pool in the afternoon in between game drives in April?
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:54 AM

I've been once in March. For the first couple of days it rained and was unseasonably cold. One morning it rained so hard, we actually slept in, had breakfast at 7, then went out, giving it chance to let up a bit, which it did. We still had a great trip.

We go every summer and winter to MM, on our recent January trip, we had no rain at all. I would say go and enjoy whatever you get.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 05:39 PM

Hi CarlaM

No, it was in December and January that we always seemed to be slipping into rain gear! March was great, still very hot during the day but towards the end of March beginning of April, the early mornings were beginning to let us know winter was approaching!

Many people use the pool, even in winter! I have only ever used it once in January of this year, when it was really hot, otherwise pools are not overly tempting to me unless it is really hot!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM

I was at Lion Sands in Feb 2003, and they were bone dry....i think that may have been a very dry summer. Infact, there was no greenery at all! looked more like a end winter kind of backdrop.

Hari
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
sniktawk

I have my compass with me.
We spent 16 days in areas around Kruger in mid April 2004, it rained on all but 2 days.
Again this is no guarantee of a repeat.